RSF calls for Tanzanian investigative reporter’s immediate release

first_img At a press conference yesterday in Dar es Salaam, the head of the police confirmed Kabendera’s arrest and said he was being questioned on suspicion of having obtained his Tanzanian citizenship fraudulently.A freelancer for respected media outlets such as The Guardian and The East African, Kabendera is known for his investigative coverage of Tanzania’s politics and economy. He co-authored a story on 20 July about tension within Tanzania’s ruling party and an alleged plot to prevent President John Magufuli from running for a second term.“Using a team of six people and two days of questioning – so far – just to verify identity papers clearly suggests an attempt to intimidate a journalist who is critical of the government,” said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “This journalist must be released without delay. His arrest is the latest manifestation of the steady decline in press freedom since John Magufuli became president in 2015.”RSF has learned that Kabendera’s family and lawyers were finally allowed to see him today. An application has been filed for his release on bail. It will be heard tomorrow morning.What with arrests of journalists, media closures, legislation designed to restrict free speech and the freedom to inform, and impunity for crimes of violence against journalists, the press freedom situation has deteriorated dramatically in Tanzania in recent years.In an interview three weeks ago, the foreign minister referred to Azory Gwanda, a journalist who has been missing for more than a year and a half, as having “died” but he later retracted. Two press freedom defenders who were investigating Gwanda’s disappearance were deported at the end of last year. The leading independent daily The Citizen was suspended for a week in February for a supposed exchange rate mistake.Tanzania is ranked 118th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index after falling 47 places since 2016, more than any other country in the world during the same period. Reports TanzaniaAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Crédit : Jamii Forums Organisation News Reporters Without Borders condemns the arbitrary detention of Erick Kabendera, a respected investigative reporter who was taken from his home in Tanzania’s commercial capital, Dar es Salaam, on 29 July by six men in civilian dress claiming to be police officers carrying out an arrest. News TanzaniaAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Help by sharing this information February 4, 2021 Find out more RSF_en center_img Receive email alerts News Twitter arbitrarily blocks South African newsweekly and several reporters over Covid vaccine story July 31, 2019 RSF calls for Tanzanian investigative reporter’s immediate release Follow the news on Tanzania The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Tanzanian media unable to cover Covid-19 epidemic to go further November 27, 2020 Find out more November 5, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

China: Harassment of foreign correspondents intensified during Covid-19

first_img June 2, 2021 Find out more PHOTO: Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China. ChinaAsia – Pacific Reports and statisticsMedia independenceProtecting sources Covid19ImpunityFreedom of expressionPredators News ChinaAsia – Pacific Reports and statisticsMedia independenceProtecting sources Covid19ImpunityFreedom of expressionPredators Follow the news on China Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes Help by sharing this information April 27, 2021 Find out more According to a report published on 1st March by the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC), the regime’s harassment of foreign correspondents has again intensified throughout the Covid-19 crisis. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on democracies to increase pressure on the Chinese regime. News RSF_en center_img China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures In its annual report published on 1st March 2021, the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC) highlighted the intensification of the regime’s harassment of foreign journalists and their sources throughout the Covid-19 crisis. The report, based on 150 responses to a survey of the club members, specifically denounced an increased use of visa weaponisation which led to the expulsion of at least 18 foreign correspondents in the first half of 2020. “In recent years, Chinese regime apparatus has come to consider foreign correspondents as unwanted witnesses and goes to great lengths to prevent them from collecting information that doesn’t mirror its propaganda”, says Cédric Alviani, RSF East Asia bureau head. “In this period of the pandemic, transparency can save lives and democracies must increase pressure on the Chinese regime for it to respect their right to access unbiased information.”In the FCCC report, based on 150 of its members’ survey responses, journalists stated interference from the authorities (60%), intimidation attempts on their Chinese personnel (59%), physical surveillance (40%) and harassment on their sources (40%). Additionally, at least 90% of respondents who traveled last year to the autonomous regions of Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia experienced obstruction. China ranked 177th out of 180 in the 2020 RSF World Press Freedom Index and is the world’s largest captor of journalists with at least 121 detained, often in life-threatening conditions. Organisation News Receive email alerts to go further March 4, 2021 – Updated on March 25, 2021 China: Harassment of foreign correspondents intensified during Covid-19 China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison News March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

World champion Joshua ‘had health issue’  before first Andy Ruiz fight

first_imgUNIFIED world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua said a health issue left him “tired” and “drained” in the build-up to his June defeat by Andy Ruiz Jr.Joshua, 30, reclaimed his world titles in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, dominating the Mexican over 12 rounds.Conspiracy theories had circulated after his initial defeat, one of the biggest shocks in heavyweight history.“I had some issue with my health which I was going through for a long time,” Joshua told the 5 Live Boxing podcast.The Briton added: “I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I felt so tired and drained and thought it must be down to training.“In the changing room before the fight I got a bucket of ice and was putting my head in it thinking ‘why do I feel so tired?’“The responsibilities of being world champion are difficult. All that stuff, feeling so tired, dealing with obligations.“Now I have energy, I haven’t missed a session.”He added: “After my check-ups it showed what the problem was and this is what you have to get sorted.“Even in this camp I had an operation done but as I’d started training in June I had no issues.”Joshua refused to say what the operation was but it is understood the procedure he had was linked to the issue diagnosed after his defeat by Ruiz.Joshua opens up at lastJoshua had hinted previously that he had something to reveal about what went on before his first career defeat and, after initial hesitation, provided at least some insight to the 5 Live Boxing podcast.Theories aired in the interim had ranged from him having shown the effects of being concussed in sparring to having a seizure before the bout at Madison Square Garden.He now says he feels “back” and “focused”.The two-time world heavyweight champion also said he learned a valuable lesson not to accept opponents at short notice – Ruiz was drafted in six weeks before their fight after American Jarrell Miller failed three drug tests.Joshua, who will return to the UK in the early hours of Monday morning with the IBF, WBA and WBO belts, was on the front of Sunday’s Saudi newspapers, alongside Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman, who attended his fight.Despite widespread criticism of staging the bout in a country criticised for its human rights record, Joshua said he would “100%” be happy to return to the kingdom on holiday or to perform.‘All challengers are welcome’Joshua is now expected to face either the WBO’s mandatory challenger – currently Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk – or the man in the same position with the IBF, Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev.He said he was no longer interested in calling out WBC champion Deontay Wilder for a historic bout with all four world heavyweight titles on the line. Chasing a contest with compatriot Tyson Fury was also dismissed as Joshua said he hoped to focus on one “hurdle” at a time.“Looking so far ahead it can be a blurry vision looking that far out,” Joshua told BBC Sport.“Sooner or later I will be looking directly at the undisputed championship of the world.“If the opportunity presents itself I will fight Wilder and Fury. Wilder has a fight with Fury in February. Once that is out of the way they can start mentioning my name. “I can’t keep on fighting all the champions, the best in the division and then other people who say they want to step up don’t step up.“All challengers are welcome to take on this current unified champion.”Joshua said to defend his belts “on home soil would be big news” after promoter Eddie Hearn revealed he had been in discussions over a fight at Tottenham’s new 60,000-capacity stadium, most likely against Pulev.“It would be mega,” Joshua added. “Looking at how many people came out here shows there is still a big interest in the heavyweight division, especially now we are taking the belts back.“Sometimes it would be better against a Brit, but if not I follow the mandatories and defend them that way.”(BBC Sport)last_img read more