US President Donald Trump’s attempt to curb what he says is social media censorship is a political gambit and will not change the legal obligations of companies like Twitter Inc and Facebook Inc, according to legal experts.An executive order signed by Trump on Thursday directs federal agencies to clarify the scope of a law known as Section 230, which protects internet companies from liability for illegal content posted by users and allows them to remove lawful but objectionable posts.Legal experts said it was unclear if the Federal Communications Commission would embrace Trump’s view of Section 230 laid out in the order. Even if it does, the agency’s regulations will have no binding legal effect on judges who actually have say over the law. Trump, a prolific Twitter user, has long claimed that the service and other social media platforms silence conservative viewpoints. He signed the order two days after Twitter for the first time prompted readers to check the facts in tweets sent by Trump, warning that his claims about mail-in ballots were false and had been debunked.Section 230 contains a provision that allows online platforms like Twitter and Facebook to take down or restrict access to material they determine “in good faith” to be lewd, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable.Such restrictions on internet content are generally lawful because the First Amendment of the US Constitution, which protects free speech, only applies to government actors, not private companies.Alleging that censorship of conservative viewpoints is routine, the draft executive order states that online platforms should not be shielded when they engage in “deceptive or pretextual actions restricting online content.”The order directs the Commerce Department to ask the Federal Communications Commission to clarify the law.Experts said the analysis of Section 230 in Trump’s draft executive order contradicts court decisions that have interpreted the law as providing broad immunity.”A lot of the executive order is bluster,” said Kate Klonick, a professor of internet law at St. John’s University. “It basically casts aside 25 years of judicial precedent.”The FCC’s lawyers are well-aware of these court decisions, Klonick said, and may struggle with how to proceed in the coming months.”It is unclear they [the FCC] are going to want to do something in which they would obviously get smacked down by a court order,” Klonick said.If the FCC does take action, it will likely spark court challenges, and Trump is unlikely to prevail, legal experts said.Klonick said the executive order is a way for Trump to score political points, regardless of whether it has actual impact.Jack Balkin, a professor at Yale Law School, said Trump was trying to use his power as president to frighten social media companies so they do not fact-check him.”It’s a shot across the bow,” Balkin said. Topics : The order “is 95% political theater – rhetoric without legal foundation, and without legal impact,” said Daphne Keller, an expert on internet law at Stanford University.Marc Randazza, a First Amendment lawyer, said he agreed with Trump’s censorship concerns but acknowledged that much of the executive order would not lead to actual reforms.”I think it’s much more of just a leadership statement, or a mission statement, than a blueprint for anything that’s really going to happen,” Randazza said.The White House, Facebook and Twitter declined comment.
GO-TIME: Department of Corrections Food Procurement Services and Management Software System Contract to Save an Estimated $16.6 Million Over Three Years February 15, 2017 Efficiency, GO-TIME, Press Release, Results Harrisburg, PA – Pennsylvania Department of General Services (DGS) Secretary Curt Topper and Department of Corrections (DOC) Secretary John Wetzel today announced another GO-TIME success with the award of a Food Procurement Services and Food Management Software System to Aramark Correctional Industries, LLC that will save the commonwealth $16.6 million over the three year-term of the contract.The contract is worth an estimated amount of nearly $154 million for the three-year initial term. There are two one-year renewal options and the first prison is expected to go online by the end of February 2017.“GO-TIME, or the Governor’ Office of Transformation, Innovation, Management and Efficiency, has changed the way the commonwealth looks at our operations, purchases, and ways of doing business,” Secretary Topper said. “The awarding of this contract is the latest in a long line of successful examples that show how when action is taken to leverage resources, streamline processes, and create efficiencies, we all benefit from increased quality and decreased costs.”The contract implements a unique and innovative model in which the DOC has complete control over creating the food menus, inspecting the food to maintain quality and nutritional standards, preparing the food, and then serving it. Through the use of a software system, Aramark will manage the purchase, logistics. and food inventory for the DOC’s 26 facilities across the commonwealth.“Ensuring the quality and nutritional value of the food we serve at our facilities is a priority for the Department of Corrections,” Secretary Wetzel noted. “This contract model enables us to leverage our buying power to realize significant savings without having to sacrifice quality in any other areas. We are still able to maintain our staff-delivered food operations within our institutions, including educating inmates on food preparation, determining portions, and adhering to food regulations.”The commonwealth bid the contract out using the Request for Proposal, or RFP, method which factored in the technical capabilities of the supplier, cost, use of a domestic workforce, and subcontracting with small diverse and small businesses.“In addition to supporting a Pennsylvania-based business and keeping those dollars in the commonwealth’s economy, we are seeing nearly 12 percent of the total contract value being committed to subcontracting with a small diverse business and a small business,” Secretary Topper said. “We’ve taken several steps to improve on the RFP process to reward prime contractors for committing to spending contract dollars with small diverse and small businesses and we are seeing progress.”The implementation of the contract will occur through a transition period at each facility. The DOC and Aramark will work together to coordinate the transition period for each facility to ensure a seamless transfer of services.GO-TIME leverages inter-agency coordination and collaboration to maximize efficiency, modernize state government operations, and provide the highest quality services. The Executive Order signed by Governor Tom Wolf tasks state agencies with finding cost savings from efficiency and innovative initiatives to better leverage state government resources and taxpayer dollars.Efforts through this initiative have saved more than $156 million in FY 15-16, exceeding the $150 million savings goal set by the Governor. The Governor is now challenging GO-TIME to build upon this success by achieving $500 million in savings by 2020.To learn more about GO-TIME, visit www.governor.pa.gov/go-time/.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Chinese shipyard operator JES International Holdings has filed an application in the High Court of Singapore to place the company under judicial management.The JM application was filed on February 11, while the date for the hearing of the application is yet to be fixed by the court.JES added that the trading halt in respect of the shares of the company called on March 4, 2015 continues.The development was made after China’s Jiangsu Jingjiang Court ordered for JES’ seven shipbuilding subsidiaries to cease operation and to be wound up in October 2018.At the time, the company informed that the court decision was made after its judicial managers failed to submit a draft of a revival plan according to schedule.Earlier in 2018, JES’ intentions to sell its shipbuilding subsidiaries fell through. The company was considering disposals after the group encountered commercial uncertainty from bank debts and delays in its restructuring process.
Radio NZ News 26 July 2017Family First Comment: We’ve been calling for this for years!!The number of complaints against the Ministry for Vulnerable Children has doubled over four years, with a third being upheld.Figures released under the Official Information Act show formal complaints jumped from 512 in the year ending June 2012 – when it was called Child, Youth and Family – to 971 in the year ending June 2016. The number stood at 699 for the nine months to the end of March 2017.In total, some 4949 complaints had been received since 2012, with 1088 partly upheld and 565 fully upheld.The high point was in the year ending June 2014 when complaints totalled 1080, with 242 partly upheld and 125 fully upheld.“The number of complaints needs to be put into context,” the ministry said in a statement.“The ministry received over 63,000 care and protection notifications for the six-month period … to December 2016 and … had over 5000 children in the custody of the chief executive.”READ MORE: http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/335817/call-for-children-s-ministry-watchdog-as-complaints-rise
Eligible counties in Senate District 42 include Decatur, Fayette, Franklin, Henry, Ripley, Rush and Shelby counties.Parents from eligible counties can attend one of the following trainings in 2018.Tuesday, Dec. 11, at 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. at Hampton Inn in Scottsburg, which is located at 1535 W. McClain Ave.Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 6 p.m. at Otterbein Public Library, which is located at 23 First St.Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 6 p.m. at Princeton Public Library, which is located at 124 S. Hart St.UPSTART will provide alternative training dates in 2019 on an as-needed basis.For more information on UPSTART and to find out if your family qualifies click here or call 800-669-4533. Indianapolis, in. — The deadline for Indiana families to pre-register their four-year-olds for UPSTART, a free online kindergarten-readiness program, has been extended through the end of 2018, says Republican state senator from Oldenburg Jean Leising.The Indiana General Assembly helped make UPSTART available in Indiana during the 2017 legislative session, passing House Enrolled Act 1004, which authorized funds for a technology-based, in-home early education program.Through UPSTART, children are taught early reading, math and science through instructional hours, lessons, activities, books and animated songs. Participants follow their own personalized learning path, but must use the program at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week the year before entering kindergarten.Families without internet or computer access are provided with a Chromebook and satellite internet. Additionally, families are partnered with a personal care representative who monitors each child’s progress. Access to live help by phone or email is available six days a week.“This program is a fantastic opportunity for Indiana children and their families, as it provides the necessary resources to prepare children for kindergarten and jumpstart their educations free of charge,” Leising said. “I highly encourage all applicable families to pre-register their child if he or she meets the qualifications and is not already enrolled in a preschool program.”Applicable children must have been born between Aug. 2, 2013, and Aug. 1, 2014, as well as live in an eligible county and start kindergarten in 2019. To qualify:A family of two must have an annual income of $20,625 or less;A family of three must have an annual income of $25,933 or less;A family of four must have an annual income of $31,242 or less;A family of five must have an annual income of $36,551 or less;A family of six must have an annual income of $41,859 or less;A family of seven must have an annual income of $47,168 or less; andA family of eight must have an annual income of $52,476 or less.
Dale E. Lamping, age 54 of Moores Hill, died Friday, July 17, 2020 at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Ft. Thomas, Kentucky. Born February 27, 1966 in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, he is the son of Mildred (Nee: Sturwold) and Herbert Lamping. He married Leisa Bruns October 22, 2017 in Moores Hill. He was a meat cutter for the Kroger’s store in Lawrenceburg.Although his family described him as a homebody, Dale had several interests. He often golfed three days a week, although in his case, frequency apparently didn’t translate into skill. Dale also loved weekly poker games and was an avid fisherman, who enjoyed others joining him. Not really a traveler, he did look forward to trips with family or going to visit family and loved his children and grandchildren.He is survived by his wife Leisa; daughter Heather (Tyler) Wilson of Milan; son Brad (Brittney) Lamping of Versailles; step daughters Deborah (Steven) Nies of Harrison, Ohio, Nichole (Dillian) Chatar of Navarre, Florida; step son Jerry (& companion Cynthia) Fryer of Milan; parents Mildred and Herb Lamping of Batesville; sisters Sharon (Nick) Doll and Barb (Terry) Flodder, both of Batesville; brother Brian (Kelly) Lamping of Guilford, Indiana; two grandchildren and three step grandchildren. Visitation for the public is Wednesday, July 22nd, from Noon until 2 p.m. at the funeral home. Social distancing must be observed and the family requests masks be worn. A private service will be held at 2 p.m. for immediate family only, due to the social distancing mandate restrictions. The service will be live streamed for everyone and can be viewed by going to Dale’s obituary page on our website (www.weigelfh.com) and clicking on the link. Following services, Dale’s wishes are to be cremated. The family requests memorials to the Gibault Children’s Services (formerly Gibault School for Boys).
“We’ve started something this season that I want to continue,” Laudrup told the club’s official website. “I know there has been a lot of speculation (about my future), but I’ve always said that I am happy here and I never had any doubts I would stay.” Laudrup has found himself linked with Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City, and a recent poll of the fans of the Spanish giants showed 72 per cent wanted him to succeed Jose Mourinho at the Bernabeu. But with a Europa League campaign lying ahead for Swansea next season, Laudrup wants to carry on the good work he has started. “I am delighted to sign the new deal and I’m already really looking forward to next season,” he said. “I hope there will be some very exciting things happening with the team and with the club in Europe.” Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins had long made clear his desire to tie Laudrup to a longer-term deal and provide the club with more security. Jenkins was particularly wary having seen Roberto Martinez, Paulo Sousa and Brendan Rodgers all leave the south Wales club during their climb through the leagues. And he is delighted to have agreed terms with his manager as Swansea enjoy arguably the finest season in their 101-year history. Jenkins said: “You can never guarantee how things will work out when you employ a new manager, especially after the success we’ve had in recent seasons, but I think everyone has seen for themselves that Michael has helped take this football club to another level. “He is a pleasure to work with because he shares the same philosophy as everyone at this football club. He has ensured that we have progressed again this season and I am convinced his knowledge, experience and expertise will ensure we keep moving forward for the next few years.” Press Association Manager Michael Laudrup has handed Swansea a huge boost by agreeing a one-year extension to his contract at the Liberty Stadium. The Dane has enjoyed a superb first season in charge of the Swans, guiding them to Capital One Cup glory and a place in the top half of the Premier League table. The former Barcelona midfielder’s initial deal was set to run out at the end of next season, but his decision to extend his contract through to June 2015 will alleviate fears he would depart for pastures new this summer.
United boss David Moyes has repeatedly insisted Rooney is not for sale after Mourinho expressed his admiration for the striker last week on the Blues’ arrival in Bangkok. Rooney, who was left out of key games for United last season by Sir Alex Ferguson, departed Bangkok as Chelsea arrived in Thailand after a hamstring injury ruled him out of the tour of Asia and Australia. Press Association Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has suggested the uncertainty over Wayne Rooney’s position as a starting player for Manchester United could have implications for England and international boss Roy Hodgson in World Cup year. “If Wayne is a second choice for Man Utd, then the national team will be affected,” Mourinho told BBC Sport.
A South Florida Uber driver who was convicted of raping a passenger in 2017 will get a new trial, a state appeals court ruled on Wednesday.That decision clears Gary Kitchings’ existing 22-year prison sentence.The appellate court believes the 60-year-old man did not receive a fair trial the first time around because the jury did not get to hear his full statement to detectives following his arrest, when he told authorities the encounter was consensual.The ruling adds that Palm Beach County Chief Circuit Judge Krista Marx was mistaken in not allowing the jury to listen twice to the 38-year-old woman’s recorded statement to investigators in its entirety.Both the accuser, who lives in New York City, and Kitchings testified during the original trial in 2018.Prosecutors argued that the former part-time driver took full control of his passenger after he picked her up from SunFest on May 7, 2017.They accused Kitchings of locking the doors to his car and then forcing the woman to perform sex acts, before breaking into her Jupiter home and raping her.The woman told the jury that Kitchens was a “monster” and had threatened to shoot her unless she performed a sex act. He then allegedly busted through the front door of her home.According to Kitchings, the woman told him it was not necessary for him to get a condom from his car.He was ultimately convicted of three counts of sexual battery with a deadly weapon or physical force, as well as one count of burglary with assault or battery, and false imprisonment. The jury acquitted him of one sexual battery count, which was alleged oral sex in the car.Prosecutors had requested life in prison, but Judge Marx considered Kitchings’ “contributions to the community” before he was arrested.He served as a foster parent for several decades and had no criminal history.Details on when Kitchings’ new trial may start have not been released.