Todd LamirandeAPTN National NewsCriticisms of the national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls continues to pile up.Especially in the wake of last week’s announcement that scheduled advisory meetings are postponed.There are now calls to boycott, or reset the email@example.com
WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Board of Selectmen meets this Monday, December 10, 2018 at Town Hall (Room 9). An Executive Session begins at 6:30pm. The public portion of the meeting begins at 7pm.There are some noteworthy items on the agenda, including:DPW Director Michael Woods, Town Engineer Paul Alunni and Planning Director Valerie Gingrich will discuss the Woburn Street/Lowell Street intersection.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the North Wilmington MBTA Commuter Rail Station.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the Butters Row Bridge Replacement.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide the results of the recent Annual Town Meeting Survey.Town Manager Jeff Hull will share good news about a recent award won by the Yentile Farm Recreational Facility.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the FY2020 budget process.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on Russell Disposal’s performance bond.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on placing AEDs at all town parks.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the Fire Department’s fire pumper situation.Town Manager Jeff Hull will announce the appointment of Laura T. deWahl to the Wilmington Conservation Commission.Selectmen will consider the approvals of various licenses for town businesses.The meeting will be telecast live by Wilmington Community Television on WCTV-G — Channel 22 on Comcast and Channel 38 on Verizon. The meeting will also be streamed on WCTV’s website HERE.Wilmington Apple intends to report on many of the items above – and any other news that comes from the meeting — over the next two weeks. Wilmington Apple sometimes live-tweets the meeting HERE.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Thank You To Our Sponsor:Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSELECTMEN NEWS: Selectmen To Discuss Senior Center, Palmer Park, WHS Gym Floor At September 9 MeetingIn “Government”SELECTMEN NOTEBOOK: 6 Things That Happened At This Month’s Selectmen’s MeetingIn “Government”SELECTMEN NEWS: Childhood Cancer Study, Olin, Cook Ave., Recreation Dept. Update On Agenda For Tonight’s MeetingIn “Government”
Comments Share your voice Google YouTube Alphabet Inc. 7 Tags Tech Industry Mobile Apps YouTube is facing a scandal involving child exploitation. Getty YouTube is under fire again for allowing content that exploits children onto its platform. After reports of a “softcore pedophile ring” on the Google-owned site surfaced last weekend, YouTube on Thursday said it’s taking aggressive action to fix the problem. The company banned more than 400 accounts and took down dozens of videos that put children at risk. But even though YouTube addressed this particular controversy, critics of the company say they’re fed up that problems with child safety keep arising in the first place. For example, two years ago, YouTube faced a backlash after disturbing videos got past filters on YouTube Kids, a version of the service designed for children.”This has been happening for years,” Haley Halverson, vice president of advocacy and outreach at the National Center on Sexual Exploitation, said in an email. “Why isn’t it YouTube’s No. 1 priority to create sustained solutions, instead of carrying on with its current whack-a-mole approach?”The latest incident began on Sunday, when a video blogger named Matt Watson detailed how pedophiles could enter a “wormhole” of YouTube videos to see footage of children in sexually suggestive positions. In the comments of those videos, users would post time stamps linking to other videos, and YouTube’s algorithms would recommend even more of those kinds of videos. In response, advertisers including AT&T and Epic Games, maker of Fortnite, pulled ad spending from YouTube. YouTube declined to make an executive available for an interview, but in a statement a spokeswoman said: “Any content — including comments — that endangers minors is abhorrent and we have clear policies prohibiting this on YouTube … There’s more to be done, and we continue to work to improve and catch abuse more quickly.” But child advocacy groups say the company isn’t working fast enough. Not the first timeYouTube has a history of people abusing the service to exploit kids. In 2017, parents started noticing troubling videos appearing on YouTube Kids. One video showed Mickey Mouse in a pool of blood while Minnie looks on in horror. In another video, a claymation version of Spider-Man urinates on Elsa, the princess from “Frozen.” The videos were knockoffs depicting the beloved Disney and Marvel characters. Also that year, YouTube stoked controversy after sexually explicit comments appeared under videos of kids doing innocuous activities, like performing gymnastics.Outside the realm of child safety, advertisers that year also boycotted YouTube after their ads appeared next to extremist and hate content because of YouTube’s automated advertising technology. Major brands including AT&T and Johnson & Johnson ditched advertising on the platform.In response to those scandals, CEO Susan Wojcicki overhauled YouTube’s safety guidelines. The new rules included removing ads from inappropriate videos targeting families and blocking inappropriate comments on videos featuring minors. Two years later, critics are upset these incidents are still popping up. Josh Golin, executive director of the Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood, says the problem is YouTube treating the issue like a public relations problem and just dealing with individual controversies when they receive media attention, instead of getting at the root of the problem.Golin said it’s particularly egregious that YouTube’s recommendation algorithm suggested even more videos that put children at risk.”If you realize that your algorithm is recommending videos that would appeal to pedophiles and you’re not stopping to think about that, what will make you stop and think?” he said. “If pedophiles won’t make you look in the mirror, what will?” There are no easy fixes, he said. Part of that is because of YouTube’s massive scale. It’s the largest video site on the planet, with more than 1 billion visitors a month. “I don’t think you can provide a safe space for children if your business model is volume,” he said.
Tags Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Review • Apple MacBook Air review: Rebooted as a thinner, lighter, more expensive laptop The Samsung Notebook 7 Force. Samsung The Notebook 7 Force is Samsung’s newest 15.6-inch laptop, and it’s all clean lines and high performance wrapped up in a black metal chassis.The Force, which will start at $1,500 when it’s available in the US on July 26, is a traditional clamshell design — not a two-in-one like Samsung’s Notebook 9 Pro — and looks very much like it’s aimed at potential Razer Blade buyers. Samsung even went so far as to call the laptop’s color Blade Black. Though, seeing as how Apple kicks off WWDC 2019 tomorrow, I suppose it’s also possible Samsung was tired of waiting for Apple to bring back the black MacBook, too, and decided to give people another strong Windows option.And it does look from the specs like it’ll be a good fit for anyone after performance for content creation and gaming. Built around a full-HD display with thin bezels on the top and sides, the Notebook 7 Force has an eighth-gen Intel Core processor (Samsung doesn’t say which one, but I assume it’s an i7 at this price) and Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 1650 graphics. You’ll also get 16GB of memory and a 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD and room to add a 2.5-inch hard drive and another SSD.The Samsung Notebook 7 will be available in 13.3- and 15.6-inch sizes. Samsung If you don’t need the Force to be with you, Samsung also announced plain ol’ Notebook 7 laptops available in 13.3- and 15.6-inch sizes starting at $1,000. These look more like the Notebook 9 Pro, though again, they’re traditional clamshells and not two-in-ones. Components are similar to what you’ll find in the Force, but with integrated graphics and not the GTX 1650. There will, however, be a 15.6-inch configuration with entry-level GeForce MX250 discrete graphics.The Notebook 7 will also be available on July 26 in the US from Samsung and Amazon. Preorders start July 12.Also read: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti mobile, 1650 are the new cheap gaming graphics News • Hands-on with the new Apple MacBook Air and MacBook Pro $899 See All Intel Nvidia Razer Samsung Apple reading • Samsung Notebook 7 Force Macbook Pro alternative appears ahead of WWDC Apple Laptops Mentioned Above Apple MacBook Air (128GB, Gray, 2018) See it Apple MacBook Air See It Walmart $1,099 $1,199 Apple Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Preview • The MacBook Air is dead. Long live the MacBook Air Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it 0 Share your voice CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Post a comment • Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors See It
United Airlines planes on the tarmac at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, California. AFP file photoUnited Airlines found itself in the middle of a social media storm on Monday, after the US carrier forcefully removed a passenger from a flight due to overbooking.The incident occurred Sunday on a United Express flight bound for Louisville, Kentucky, from Chicago. United Express flights are operated by one of eight regional airlines which partner with United.The airline said it had asked for volunteers to give up their seats on the flight, and police were called after one passenger refused to leave the plane.Smartphone video posted online showed three Chicago Department of Aviation police officers struggling with a seated middle-aged man.The man started to scream as he is dragged off while other passengers looked on—some recording the event with their phones.One passenger can be heard yelling, “Oh my God, look at what you did to him!”The incident ignited social media outrage, with “United” a trending term on Twitter, Facebook and Google.It was another example of bad press and negative social media coverage for United, after an incident in late March when two teenage girls were denied boarding a flight in Denver because they wore leggings.The airline defended its action, saying the girls were flying on passes that require them to abide by a dress code in return for free or discounted travel.In Sunday’s incident, United told US media that it had asked for volunteers to leave the overbooked plane.“One customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate,” United spokesman Charlie Hobart was quoted by the Chicago Tribune newspaper as saying.The airline did not return AFP’s request for comment.United Airlines chief executive Oscar Munoz addressed the latest controversy in a statement posted Monday on the airline’s website.“This is an upsetting event to all of us,” Munoz said, adding that the airline was conducting a “detailed review of what happened.”“We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation,” he said.Tyler Bridges, who posted video of Sunday’s incident on Twitter, wrote: “not a good way to treat a Doctor trying to get to work because they overbooked.”He described passenger reaction on the plane as “disturbed.”“Kids were crying,” he said.Bridges also wrote that the man appeared bloodied by his encounter with law enforcement and posted video showing him later running back on the plane, repeatedly saying, “I have to go home.”The man appeared to be pacing and disoriented.US airlines are allowed to involuntarily bump passengers off overbooked flights, with compensation, if enough volunteers cannot be found, according to the US Department of Transportation.
Migrants intercepted aboard three dinghies off the coast in the Strait of Gibraltar, are led by Spanish civil guards after arriving on a rescue boat at the port of Tarifa, southern Spain on 14 July 2018. Photo: ReutersFrance and Malta have agreed to host 50 people each, responding to a request for help sent by Italy after it took part in the rescue of 450 migrants from an overcrowded ship in the Mediterranean, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said.Other European countries will also take some of the asylum seekers, Conte added in a message posted on his official Facebook profile on Saturday.”This is the first important result obtained after a day of phone calls and written exchanges I have had with all 27 European leaders,” Conte said.Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat confirmed that his tiny Mediterranean island would accept 50 people. “Malta not only demands but offers solidarity,” he tweeted.French officials could not immediately be reached for comment.Earlier on Saturday a ship operated by EU border agency Frontex and a vessel owned by Italy’s tax police picked up some 450 migrants near the Italian island of Linosa and more than 100 nautical miles from Malta. Valletta had rejected pressure from Rome on Friday to rescue them.Conte posted the text of two separate letters he sent to European heads of state and government and to the presidents of the European Commission and the European Council.”We have to act together with urgency to face this complex and very sensitive situation,” Conte wrote in one letter.Conte also called for further measures to tackle illegal immigration, including pan-EU rules for private boats rescuing migrants, a strengthening of Frontex and talks with the United Nations on centres for asylum seekers outside Europe.BURDEN SHARINGConte said Italy would take some of the rescued migrants if other countries also agreed to share the burden.Italy’s far-right Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, who is leading a high-profile campaign to exclude humanitarian rescue ships from Italian ports, had insisted earlier on Saturday that the migrants could not land in Italy.Eight of the migrants who needed medical assistance were taken to the Italian island of Lampedusa for treatment.Salvini and Conte agreed by phone on Saturday there were three possible options, a source at the premier’s office said.”The migrants could be distributed immediately among European countries, or Italy would contact Libya to send them back to where they came from,” the source said.A third option would be to leave the migrants on the ships temporarily while their asylum requests are considered, the source added.Libyan officials ruled out helping Rome on the matter.”No, we will not accept any illegal migrants after they are rescued by rescue ships…,” the spokesman of Libya’s coastguard, Ayob Qassem, told Reuters.Under international law, refugees cannot be returned to a place where their lives are in danger. Both the United Nations and EU have ruled that Libya is not safe, though Salvini this week asked EU interior ministers to change that status. German, Austrian and French ministers agreed it could be done, Salvini said.