SAO PAULO, Brazil — Michael Bradley is just shy of a marathon in this World Cup.He has run more than any other player in Brazil and might be right up there with Luis Suarez among the most scrutinized.The U.S. midfielder is taking the heat from fans and soccer pundits for his lack of offensive production through the three Group G matches.Yet the Americans reached the knockout rounds in consecutive World Cups for the first time with the help of his defense. And Bradley has coach Jurgen Klinsmann’s utmost respect.The American Outlaws even chanted “Michael Bradley! Michael Bradley!” after he was admonished by the referee for a studs-up tackle on Thomas Mueller in the 45th minute of a June 26 1-0 loss to Germany in Recife.“I am very, very satisfied with Michael in this tournament so far,” Klinsmann said. “I know that he has another gear in him.”Bradley has covered a World Cup-leading 23.6 miles, or 38 kilometers. Chilean midfielder Marcelo Diaz is the only other player to go more than 36 kilometers, with three others having covered slightly more than 35.Klinsmann challenged all his players on June 27 once the team returned to its training base and held a session under sunny skies at Sao Paulo Futebol Clube in preparation for the July 1 knockout game against Belgium.“I believe that in our team so far nobody can claim that he reached his 100 percent yet, so this is a very important message to the players that now prove it,” he said. “This is what you worked for so long, so hard for it. Now take it one game at a time with total focus just to this one game, and after that game is done to the next game and make it happen. Is it doable? Absolutely.”The 26-year-old Bradley, who plays for Toronto FC in Major League Soccer, is starved for a goal this year on soccer’s biggest stage. Some of his touches have been heavy.His most memorable moment so far might be when he gave up the ball to Eder late in stoppage time, starting the sequence that led to Portugal’s equalizer in a 2-2 draw on June 22 in Manaus.Not that it seems to have Klinsmann concerned. The Americans know they must find ways to generate more shots to put themselves in position to keep this special Brazilian run going beyond Tuesday in Salvador. Bradley is expected to connect better with captain Clint Dempsey, who in the last two matches has been the Americans’ lone forward.“If he already plays on this level right now, we came through this group because of his influence on the field,” Klinsmann said, “then if he steps it up another notch, it gives us with other players as well … a big hope now getting ready for the knockout stage. Because we know that players have not reached their highest spot yet. He is one of them, but overall I am very, very happy with him. The leadership is, I mean he has covered so much ground, he is all over the place. The defensive work that Michael puts in is absolutely outstanding.”And Klinsmann credits Bradley’s efforts in the back as a big reason Germany was unable to get many opportunities.Bradley is his own toughest critic.“I’m certainly honest enough and hard enough with myself to know that it wasn’t my sharpest night, but unfortunately they’re not all going to be,” he said after the Ghana game, a 2-1 victory. “And on those days it’s still about finding every possible way to help your team.”Klinsmann has called on players at all positions to consciously think about moving upfield. The Americans realize full well it’s going to take everybody, not just Bradley behind Dempsey, pushing the attack to give them the best opportunity to reach the quarterfinals for the first time in 12 years.“We needed to do a better job at the beginning of the game of not letting them have the ‘German effect.’ A lot of times teams will just sit back and allow them to come at you,” midfielder Graham Zusi said. “We didn’t really want them to do that. It took about 15-20 minutes for us to realize that we can knock the ball around as well.“The first minutes of the game, impose yourself, step on their toes a bit, get in their face. I think that once we realized that we could play, we saw it turn around. We know that we can now. It’s just a matter of doing it early on.”(JANIE McCAULEY) TweetPinShare0 Shares
In a major upset, two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar suffered a shocking defeat at the hands of Bahrain’s Adam Batirov in the 74kg category, as the Indian wrestling team’s campaign at the 18th Asian Games began on a sour note in Jakarta.Sushil lost his qualification round 3-5 to Batirov.Sushil led 2-1 after the first period with a take down but the Bahrini made a strong comeback to silence the Indian fans.The London Olympics silver medallist created two opportunities to score in the second period but could not convert while Batirov did not miss his chances. He led 3-2 with a take down and then pushed the Indian out for a win.Sushil was not yet out of the competition and if Batirov makes the final, the Indian will be in with a chance to win bronze through repechage.Meanwhile, Sandeep Tomar won his 1/8 round 12-8 against Turkmenistan’s Rstem Nazarov to move into the quarter-finals of the men’s 57kg freestyle event.(With PTI inputs)
Arsenal midfielder Torreira overjoyed with Vieira chantby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira has spoken about his delight at chants comparing him to Patrick Vieira.The Uruguayan has been a sensation in midfield for the Gunners, scoring important goals and providing a physical presence they have been missing for years.A recent chant from Gunners fans has compared him to legendary French midfielder Vieira.And Torreira could not be more pleased.”It’s incredible. Every time I hear it, I feel so proud,” the 22-year-old told Arsenal’s website. “It gives me a real energy boost and that strength to go after every ball.”I can only really say thank you to the fans. They’re incredible and fill out every stadium, whether it’s home or away.”They’re singing for the whole 90 minutes and that’s massive for the team because it makes us feel that we have their support.”When we’re out there playing, we want to do our best to entertain them.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
Barcelona coach Valverde: I don’t care about Koeman rumoursby Carlos Volcano2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona coach Ernesto Valverde has dismissed rumours linking Ronald Koeman with his job.It’s emerged the Holland coach has a break clause in his contract should a club of the status of Barca express interest.The situation has immediately seen Koeman linked with a return to the Nou Camp.But Valverde says: “I do not know the situation of other coaches.”When we coach Barça, we still have a lot of rumors, but this does not mean anything to me.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
GLENDALE, AZ – DECEMBER 31: J.T. Barrett #16 of the Ohio State Buckeyes walks off the field after the Clemson Tigers beat the Ohio State Buckeyes 31-0 to win the 2016 PlayStation Fiesta Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium on December 31, 2016 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)Update: Here is video of the arrest, from TMZ.Earlier: TMZ has landed video of Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett’s citation for OVI, and according to the gossip site, it doesn’t reflect well on him. They have not released the video yet, but according to their first write-up, Barrett tells officers that he is the Buckeyes quarterback, and seems to ask for special treatment.JT Barrett Arrest Video — ‘I’M THE QB OF OHIO STATE’ … ‘There’s Nothing You Can Do?’ https://t.co/KrsK4nchdw— TMZ (@TMZ) November 12, 2015TMZ Sports obtained the dash cam footage from the October 31 incident — in which you can clearly see Barrett’s SUV pull out of a line for an upcoming DUI checkpoint … catching the attention of an officer who pulled him over. … That’s when Barrett plays the “don’t you know who I am?” card … saying, “I’m the quarterback of Ohio State … officer, there’s nothing you can do?” The officer responds, “My intention is to not take you to jail. That’s about the best I can do for you.” Once Barrett sits in the back seat of the cruiser, he begins to scream obscenities to himself … “F**K!!! F**K!!!”Perhaps this should be a surprise, but it is not a great look for Barrett, who is expected to start Saturday against Illinois after a one game suspension following his arrest. Barrett’s case was settled Tuesday, resulting in a suspension of his license and a $400 fine.
HUMBOLDT, Sask. – Saskatchewan’s Ministry of Justice says one of the deceased in Friday’s fatal crash involving the Humboldt Broncos bus was misidentified.The ministry says the body of Parker Tobin was mistaken for that of Xavier Labelle.It says Labelle is injured but alive, and Tobin is among the 15 people who died.The Office of the Chief Coroner has apologized for the misidentification.
Trina RoacheAPTN National NewsBeatrice Hunter, the Inuk land protector put in jail for protesting peacefully, had some tough questions for the premier of Newfoundland and Labrador but said she was “disappointed and disgusted” with his answers.Hunter confronted him at an event in Goose Bay on Tuesday evening and used Facebook Live to grill Premier Dwight Ball about Muskrat Falls, a controversial hydroelectric project outside of town.A big shock for Hunter was that Ball had not read an open letter from Senators Murray Sinclair and Kim Pate.“When the Senate sends you a letter, wouldn’t you respond ASAP? Especially when it’s the Senate?” said Hunter, in an interview from her home in Labrador. “And it shows that even just by him not reading the letter is a lack of respect for our lives and a lack of respect for the Senate.”On Monday, two senators wrote a joint letter to the premier about the “unjust incarceration” of Hunter for “engaging in a peaceful protest.”Sinclair and Pate said the “actions of the government in this regard have been shameful.”But on Tuesday evening, Ball told Hunter, “I’ve been travelling today and I haven’t really seen the letter yet. I’ve seen some media reports on it, we’ve had some conversations with it, so we need to clearly figure out exactly what the senators were asking for.”The senators asked the province to conduct a “review of its laws to ensure they do not derogate from existing Indigenous rights.”Hunter asked Ball if he would help get the charges against Labrador land protectors dropped.She’s one of 37 people facing criminal charges, including mischief over $5,000 and disobeying a court order, stemming from protests last fall.“I think none of us, yourself, would want a premier or any elected official that’s willing to interfere with a court process,” answered Ball. “I find the whole process very frustrating. I followed your story. It is a very frustrating thing for me to be into. Let’s keep in mind this is not a project I supported.”But Hunter was not appeased and replied, “You say you were very frustrated. How do you think I feel about it being in prison for 11 days?”On May 30, Hunter was sent to a men’s prison in St. John’s, 1,600 km to the south, after she told a judge she could not promise to stop protesting at Muskrat Falls.One concern of the ongoing opposition to the project is that unstable geography at an area of the dam called the North Spur could cause a breach in the dam and massive flooding for communities along the Lower Churchill River.Another, and the main focus of the ongoing protests last fall is methylmercury.A 2015 study by Harvard University indicated that leaving the trees and topsoil in the reservoir when it was flooded would create methylmercury that could contaminate traditional food sources downstream.After a marathon meeting last October, the premier reached a deal with Indigenous leaders.It promised an Independent Expert Advisory Committee to review environment impacts. Ball told Hunter that it’s now set up, and the government is just waiting for Indigenous leaders to find someone to chair the committee.And while the land protectors demand to have the reservoir cleared was not met, Nalcor Energy, the provincial crown corporation developing Muskrat Falls, promised it would release the flood waters from the spillway this spring.But in a recent update on its website, Nalcor reported, “Current water elevation upstream of the spillway remains around 21.5m above sea level. The plan is to keep the water at this level until mid-July. The water must remain at this level to install the necessary equipment that will ensure the safety of river users near the spillway and facility. Once this work is completed, the water level in the reservoir will be lowered.”Hunter has lost trust in government, including the Indigenous leaders in Labrador.“Todd Russell and Yvonne Jones had tried to visit me in prison,” said Hunter. “But I had denied them because I felt that I wouldn’t probably be in prison if they had done their job.”Russell is the leader of the NunatuKavut Community Council. And Jones is the Liberal MP for Labrador.Jones is the Liberal MP for Labrador and the parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Indigenous Affairs Carolyn Bennett.“We’re fighting for Labrador lives to ensure that no one gets poisoned or drowned,” she said but isn’t looking to politicians for answers, including Dwight Ball.“There was nothing in his answers that said okay, Beatrice, we’re going to help Labrador,” said Hunter. “It seemed he avoided giving real answers to my questions.”And that included her repeated question, asking if Ball would resign as NL Minister for Aboriginal Affairs.email@example.com
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — Four communities in Northeast B.C. will be receiving funding for various projects from money collected by the Federal Gas Tax Fund.The provincial and federal governments, along with the Union of B.C. Municipalities announced that five community projects in the Northeast have been approved to get a total of $3.2 million from the Gas Tax Fund. 108 projects across the province have been for nearly $193 million from the federal Gas Tax Fund.The City of Fort St. John will be receiving $105,000 for a long term water supply plan. The City has been looking at the issue since at least 2015, when it struck a tentative deal with BC Hydro to withdraw water from the Site C reservoir without charge. Three years ago, a report from Urban Systems looking at a 50-year growth plan for Fort St. John said that the city could be home to anywhere between 46,000 and 84,000 residents by 2065. The report also warned that the City, which currently draws its water from the Peace River through a series of groundwater wells, would experience a severe shortfall in its water supply without upgrades or a new water source in place by this year. According to the report from three years ago, the City’s water supply was built to serve only about 17,800 people.Taylor, Tumbler Ridge, and the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality will also be getting money from the Gas Tax Fund to support projects in their communities. Taylor will be receiving $39,450 for phase one of its Asset Management Plan, Tumbler Ridge is slated to get $80,000 to develop a Parks and Rec master plan, while the NRRM will be getting $82,500 for an economic strategy and $2.9 million for a renewal of its wastewater treatment plant aeration system.
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. – Prince George RCMP continue to investigate the disappearance of Robert Poulin.On December 28, 2018, at approximately 9 p.m., the Prince George RCMP and the Prince George Fire Rescue Service responded to a report of a residential fire at 4416 Greenwood Street. While responding to this fire, Police located a 2004 Black Ford F150 pickup truck. This truck was determined to be related to the residence. The owner of the residence and the truck, Robert (Bob) Poulin, has not yet been located and Police consider his disappearance suspicious.The Police are interested in speaking with anyone who may have information about Poulin’s truck on the days leading up to December 28, 2018. They are seeking the public’s assistance in locating any witnesses or vehicle dash camera footage that was obtained on the following dates: December 27, 2018 from 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. between Chetwynd, B.C. and Fort St. John, B.C. During this time the police know that the truck had a white canopy on the back as shown in the photo below.December 28, 2018 from 12:00 a.m. (midnight) to 9:00 p.m. between Fort St. John, B.C. and Prince George, B.C. During this time the vehicle no longer had the canopy attached as shown below.If you have any information, please contact Cpl. Meghan Driscoll of the Prince George RCMP at 250-561-3300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).Photo of missing man Robert Poulin. Source RCMPVideo Surveillance of Poulin’s truck. Source RCMPPoulin’s Truck. Source RCMP
The Action Surface Rights Association has intervened in the case because it believes rights of landowners have been overlooked in the case. UPDATE – The Supreme Court has ruled companies can’t abandon old wells. Click here for the details.OTTAWA, O.N. – The Supreme Court of Canada is set to rule today on whether energy companies can walk away from unprofitable wells on agricultural land without having to clean up behind them.A 2016 ruling in the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench allowed a bankrupt energy company to sever its connection with unprofitable and unreclaimed wells when their assets were sold off to creditors. The Alberta Court of Appeal upheld the ruling.Since the case came to court, an estimated 1,800 wells representing more than $100 million in liabilities have been abandoned.Alberta’s provincial energy regulator ordered the trustee for Redwater Energy Corporation to comply with end-of-life requirements to render the abandoned properties environmentally safe.The company’s trustee did not comply, and filed its own counterclaim that included a constitutional challenge to the regulator’s action.The energy regulator and the Orphan Well Association, an industry-funded group that cleans up wells that have been left unreclaimed, have appealed the ruling to the high court.A group with the support of thousands of farmers also wants to see the high court reverse the decision.