Get facts, decide for yourself on sewers

first_imgHey, Burnt Hills, Ballston Lake, regarding your sewer vote. Have you seen enough signs, read enough letters to the editor or seen enough road-side signs admonishing you to “do this or don’t do that?”How about this? Get the facts and do your own thinking.Make up your own mind. How about that?David W. ChristensenBallston SpaMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusGuilderland girls’ soccer team hands BH-BL first league lossEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen? Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinionlast_img

Trump’s order taking aim at Twitter is ‘bluster’: Legal experts

first_imgUS President Donald Trump’s attempt to curb what he says is social media censorship is a political gambit and will not change the legal obligations of companies like Twitter Inc and Facebook Inc, according to legal experts.An executive order signed by Trump on Thursday directs federal agencies to clarify the scope of a law known as Section 230, which protects internet companies from liability for illegal content posted by users and allows them to remove lawful but objectionable posts.Legal experts said it was unclear if the Federal Communications Commission would embrace Trump’s view of Section 230 laid out in the order. Even if it does, the agency’s regulations will have no binding legal effect on judges who actually have say over the law. Trump, a prolific Twitter user, has long claimed that the service and other social media platforms silence conservative viewpoints. He signed the order two days after Twitter for the first time prompted readers to check the facts in tweets sent by Trump, warning that his claims about mail-in ballots were false and had been debunked.Section 230 contains a provision that allows online platforms like Twitter and Facebook to take down or restrict access to material they determine “in good faith” to be lewd, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable.Such restrictions on internet content are generally lawful because the First Amendment of the US Constitution, which protects free speech, only applies to government actors, not private companies.Alleging that censorship of conservative viewpoints is routine, the draft executive order states that online platforms should not be shielded when they engage in “deceptive or pretextual actions restricting online content.”The order directs the Commerce Department to ask the Federal Communications Commission to clarify the law.Experts said the analysis of Section 230 in Trump’s draft executive order contradicts court decisions that have interpreted the law as providing broad immunity.”A lot of the executive order is bluster,” said Kate Klonick, a professor of internet law at St. John’s University. “It basically casts aside 25 years of judicial precedent.”The FCC’s lawyers are well-aware of these court decisions, Klonick said, and may struggle with how to proceed in the coming months.”It is unclear they [the FCC] are going to want to do something in which they would obviously get smacked down by a court order,” Klonick said.If the FCC does take action, it will likely spark court challenges, and Trump is unlikely to prevail, legal experts said.Klonick said the executive order is a way for Trump to score political points, regardless of whether it has actual impact.Jack Balkin, a professor at Yale Law School, said Trump was trying to use his power as president to frighten social media companies so they do not fact-check him.”It’s a shot across the bow,” Balkin said. Topics :center_img The order “is 95% political theater – rhetoric without legal foundation, and without legal impact,” said Daphne Keller, an expert on internet law at Stanford University.Marc Randazza, a First Amendment lawyer, said he agreed with Trump’s censorship concerns but acknowledged that much of the executive order would not lead to actual reforms.”I think it’s much more of just a leadership statement, or a mission statement, than a blueprint for anything that’s really going to happen,” Randazza said.The White House, Facebook and Twitter declined comment.last_img read more

Schedule of Executive Committee Meetings to organzie District Sports Festivals.

first_img 26 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring! Share Tweet Sharecenter_img Share NewsSports Schedule of Executive Committee Meetings to organzie District Sports Festivals. by: – April 24, 2011 The Sports Division of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports continues its thrust to organize communities so they can be at the fore front in the development of their sporting activities.Follow up meetings of Executives Committees will be intensified during the coming weeks to prepare and mobilize communities for the commencement of the District Sports Festivals which is scheduled  will begin in the Southern District on May 15 at the Geneva Playing Field.Meetings have been scheduled as follows:Tuesday April 26 – Petite Savanne Village Council Office  7.00p.mThursday April 28 – Dubique Resource Centre – 6.30p.mSaturday April 30 – Bellevue Primary School 7.00p.mThursday May 6 – Pichelin Community Centre 7.00p.m.Committees are reminded that sensitization of representatives to field the various teams is key as the deadline for registration of teams is Thursday May 12. Abraham BrowneSports Officer Southlast_img read more

Lady Trojans Battle Lady Tigers

first_imgECVB defeated Lawrenceburg last night 25-13, 23-25, 25-13, and 25-16.We played really well last night as a whole. If you take out game two, we played exceptionally well. We fell apart in the back row and couldn’t pull it out in the end, even though we came back. But we held our composure and brought our focus back to our side of the court and it showed. Our serving was top notch with an outstanding 24 aces on the night! These girls never quit and are never out of a game until the last point is scored.EC vs Lawrenceburg 8-31-18Varsity is now 12-1 on the season and 6-0 in the EIAC.Next up: all 3 levels are at Madison on Saturday.Courtesy of Trojans Coach Cassie Laker.East Central JV loses in 2 to Lawrenceburg on Aug. 30 at EC: 25-20 and 25-24.We started slow and had trouble coming back in set 1; set 2 was much better, but we just couldn’t pull off the win. stat leaders: serving Hope Fox 7/7-1 Ace, Jessie Stenger 5/6-1 Ace, Faith  Fox 7/7, Ellie Lengerich 4/4. serve receive: Hope Fox 1010 and Casey House 10/12; attacks: Jessie Stenger 18/18 with 5 kills, Hope Fox 15/16 6 kills, Ella  Fledderman 8/10 with 2 kills, Ellie Lengerich 8/9 with 4 kills; digs Faith Fox 12/12, Ella Fledderman 10/10, Casey HOuse 10/12; assists: Ella Fledderman 30/30 with 10 assists and Allison Huismann 26/26 with 12 assists; The team is now 7-2 overall and 5-1 in EIAC.Courtesy of Trojans Coach Debbie Gregg.last_img read more

Pochettino delighted as Dele double ends Spurs long wait for win at Chelsea

first_imgLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino insisted he always trusted Dele Alli’s talent despite the England international’s struggles to meet his high standards this season.Alli doubled his tally for 2018 by scoring twice in four second-half minutes as Spurs beat Chelsea 3-1 on Sunday to end a 28-year wait for a Premier League win at Stamford Bridge.Defeat for the hosts all but ends Chelsea’s hopes of Champions League football next season as Spurs opened up an eight-point lead over their closest challengers for fourth place.“I’m very, very pleased for Dele,” said Pochettino. “It’s been a tough period for him, but I like his talent, his character. I’m so happy for him because he deserved it.”Alli was left out of both England’s recent friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy with Gareth Southgate suggesting his place in the starting XI at the World Cup was far from secure.“I’m sure people will still be disappointed with the way I played today,” said Alli, who celebrated his first goal provocatively in front of the Chelsea fans. “I don’t think I had to prove (anything) with the way I played today.”But after scoring 22 goals last season, Pochettino believes Alli has just become a victim of his own success so early in his career.“In the end, he’s a great talent, only 21 years old, and sometimes we lose the focus on that. He’s only 21. Sometimes the expectation is too much.”Spurs’ performance was even more impressive as they came from behind after a huge error from captain and goalkeeper Hugo Lloris gifted Alvaro Morata the opening goal. Christan Eriksen’s wonder strike levelled in first-half stoppage time, before Alli took centre stage to end a barren run by his standards with two smart finishes just after the hour mark.“When we were down against Chelsea, the team showed great quality and deserved the victory,” said Pochettino. “We are in a good place to achieve the top four, and to do that at the end of the season is the challenge.”Spurs could even afford the luxury of doing the damage without Harry Kane, who made his return from a three-week layoff with ankle ligament damage 16 minutes from time.– Conte’s days numbered –Chelsea manager Antonio Conte’s days in charge look numbered as failure to make the top four is likely to seal the Italian’s fate no matter what comes of their run to the semi-finals of the FA Cup.“My task is to work, and I know that I and my staff work 24 hours a day for Chelsea,” said Conte.“Then the club has to take the decision. I am not worried about this.”Conte has consistently complained of his lack of input over transfer dealings this season and insisted he has got the most out of a squad that won the Premier League at a canter last season.“Yeah, I’m sure about this. We are working very well, very hard and the commitment of the players is top. Despite this if you stay in this position you must be a bit worried,” added Conte.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more

Championship play-off victory for Kent’s Kelso

first_img16 Sep 2017 Championship play-off victory for Kent’s Kelso They started with birdies on the 1st where Kelso holed out from about 15ft and Read followed him in from 9ft. They both parred the 18th before returning to the 1st where Kelso hit his approach to within a foot, asking a stern question of Read. The Staffordshire player had the answer, however, slotting a 12-footer and, once again, they both birdied the hole.   It was his first play-off and he added: “I didn’t know what to expect so I stuck to my game plan of hitting fairways and greens and holing the odd putt here and there.”  It was a policy which stood him in good stead in regulation play. He was out in the first group, enjoyed the good omen of having the No 1 player number, and was four under after 10 holes. He dropped a couple of shots at the start of the back nine but had another birdie on 15, setting the target for the rest of the field with his 70.  Click here for full scores The second visit to the 18th proved the decider. Read’s drive plugged in a bunker bank and he could only advance it a few feet before chipping out on to the fairway. It handed the advantage to Kelso and although he also found the thick, wet rough with his second shot, he held on to claim the title.  Kelso, 16, commented: “This means a lot. It’s my third win of the season and the biggest of my playing career so far – and in an England event.”  Image copyright Leaderboard Photography Kent’s Jacob Kelso won a four-hole play-off to triumph in the weather-hit English Boys’ County Champion of Champions tournament at Woodhall Spa.  The tournament was reduced to 18 holes after torrential rain flooded the greens on the Hotchkin course, leaving Kelso (Kings Hill) and Staffordshire’s Ollie Read tied on three-under par.  Yorkshire’s Alex Fitzpatrick (Hallamshire) and Worcestershire’s Joe Price (Hagley) challenged strongly with scores of two-under 71, but only Read (Branston), playing at the end of the field, was able to match him with a bogey free-round.  “In the conditions it was one of my best rounds of the year,” said Kelso, whose putting was in great shape.  They returned to the course after the rain delay to do sudden-death battle, up and down the 1st and 18th – and for three holes there was nothing to separate them.  Tags: Boys, competitions, County Champion of Champion, Kentlast_img read more

NFL draft prospects consider life in the big time

first_imgThis May 6, 2014 photo shows NFL Draft prospect Calvin Pryor, a safety from Louisville, holding a pair of headphones at the 5th Annual NFL Pre-Draft Gifting & Style Suite at the Sean John show room in New York. Pryor is among dozens of prospects on the National Football League’s annual draft, with 32 players per round and seven rounds, beginning Thursday night at Radio City. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)NEW YORK (AP) — Wearing diamond studs and pressing a cellphone to his ear, Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy saunters into a gift suite, compliments of Diddy, and closes his eyes as he slides into a barber chair for a trim.He’s looking serious and busy like the pro he may soon be when the NFL draft is over.Ealy, the swag swirling around him, from luggage to Ciroc, is among dozens of prospects on the verge of the big time, leaving old lives behind and heading to the circus of media, money and a shot at stardom.The NFL’s annual draft begins Thursday night at Radio City Music Hall. Ealy is projected to go late in the first round. Does he worry about where he’ll land, considering he never left his home state for college?“Don’t matter, ’cause now it’s a business. You have to treat it like a business,” the straight-faced Ealy said Tuesday between his visit to the Old Spice grooming station and a round of interviews at Diddy’s Sean John headquarters, just a few blocks from where the draft will be held and one of his many stops during a crazy week of appearances.Ealy wasn’t much interested in the gift tables, and he shrugged off the pressure.“I’m handling it like I’ve been there before and that’s what I’ll keep doing. That’s something my high school coach told me and I never forgot it,” he said.Fellow draft prospect Sammy Watkins, a wide receiver from Clemson, picked up a Hawaiian shirt and a leather bracelet, his Beats headphones on his head as he prepared for another jump outside his comfort zone.The Floridian gave up offers from three schools there to head for college in South Carolina, so unlike Ealy, he already knows what it feels like to live far from family and old friends.Watkins’ head was spinning. This is his first trip to New York City. He had just stepped off the plane and went straight into a few days of crazy, touring the 9/11 Memorial Site, handling phone calls and waiting on his family to arrive.“I’m gonna have some fun,” he laughed. “I’m gonna go out a little bit with the fam. We’re gonna party it up.”And the first thing he’ll buy if a big contract comes his way? “I gotta get my mom whatever she wants,” he said. “Whatever she needs.”Watkins has a good idea how his life would change, on and off the field, if he makes the pros. At college, he said, there was always a party: “We lived it up. I’ll miss the team the most. My brothers.”In the NFL, “You’ve got to push yourself. The game is quicker, faster. Some of these guys have families, kids and just want to do the job. I’m ready for that,” he said.Ealy’s already a little bit Hollywood in long leather pockets on his sweats and a matching leather zip shirt.But, like Watkins, his dreams haven’t changed that much since he played ball in high school. He wants to help his dad make ends meet back in the St. Louis area.Growing up playing both basketball and football, he can feel his big moment: “Being able to provide for my family, you know what I’m sayin’? That was the dream then and that’s it now.”Morgan Moses, an offensive tackle at Virginia, may also go late in the first round. He, too, had never been to New York and has never lived away from his home state. He had one foot in the Sean John green room, scooping up a few gift bags, and another back on campus.“You know, it’s crazy. I’m finishing up with school and I’m here, but I’m working on my last 20-page paper,” he smiled.Moses, at 6-6 and more than 300 pounds, plans to rely on his years at Fork Union Military Academy back home in Virginia to navigate the pros. It’s where he straightened himself out after a rough patch in high school.“There were uniforms and everything,” he said. “I had to cut the dreads off, but it was that discipline, you know? There were a lot of obstacles coming forward. You just want to be the next big thing growing up and it’s time to be here and to be that.”He wasn’t sweating bad money management, faux friends turning up for free tickets and jerseys or any of the other things the league’s family engagement program warned about at a breakfast for the relatives of draft prospects, held at the same time some of the players sat down to breakfast with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.“The first thing I’m going to buy? I’m pretty frugal with my money so probably a home to live in. I’m going to let everything else take care of itself,” Moses said.Calvin Pryor, a free safety out of Louisville, had a balancing act on his mind: How could he keep trusted friends and, with any luck, manage a high-profile career? He plans to carry this philosophy into the pros:“People change,” Pryor explained. “It’s not you.”___Follow Leanne Italie on Twitter at http://twitter.com/litalielast_img read more