WILMINGTON, MA — Below are 5 things to do in Wilmington on Wednesday, March 6, 2019:#1) Kindergaten & PreK Registration SessionRegistration for Kindergarten and PreK is open at the Boutwell Early Childhood Center from 8:30am to 10:30am and 12:30pm to 2pm. Registration for Kindergarten and PreK is open at the Wildwood Early Childhood Center from 9am to 11am and 12:45pm to 2:15pm. Learn more HERE.#2) WHS Class Of 2021 Fundraiser At Panera BreadWilmington High School Class of 2021 is holding a Fundraiser at Wilmington’s Panera Bread (228 Main Street, Wilmington Plaza) from 4pm to 8pm. Bring this flyer or show it on your phone to the cashier when you place your order. Panera Gift Cards and catering orders are excluded from the event.#3) Wilmington Conservation Commission MeetingThe Wilmington Conservation Commission meets sat 7pm in Town Hall’s Room 9. Read the agenda HERE.#4) Car Seat Installs At Public Safety BuildingThe Wilmington Police Department offers safety seat installs at the Wilmington Public Safety Building (1 Adelaide Street) every Wednesday, 10am-2pm. No appointment is necessary, but calling ahead at 978-658-5071 is recommended. Learn more HERE.#5) Tech Help At LibraryThe Wilmington Memorial Library (175 Middlesex Avenue) is holding its weekly tech help drop-in hours from 2pm to 3pm. Have a tech question that’s been bugging you? Drop in the library to see if Technology Librarian, Brad McKenna, can help.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Wednesday, September 4, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Wednesday, August 14, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Wednesday, August 7, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”
Migrants intercepted aboard three dinghies off the coast in the Strait of Gibraltar, are led by Spanish civil guards after arriving on a rescue boat at the port of Tarifa, southern Spain on 14 July 2018. Photo: ReutersFrance and Malta have agreed to host 50 people each, responding to a request for help sent by Italy after it took part in the rescue of 450 migrants from an overcrowded ship in the Mediterranean, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said.Other European countries will also take some of the asylum seekers, Conte added in a message posted on his official Facebook profile on Saturday.”This is the first important result obtained after a day of phone calls and written exchanges I have had with all 27 European leaders,” Conte said.Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat confirmed that his tiny Mediterranean island would accept 50 people. “Malta not only demands but offers solidarity,” he tweeted.French officials could not immediately be reached for comment.Earlier on Saturday a ship operated by EU border agency Frontex and a vessel owned by Italy’s tax police picked up some 450 migrants near the Italian island of Linosa and more than 100 nautical miles from Malta. Valletta had rejected pressure from Rome on Friday to rescue them.Conte posted the text of two separate letters he sent to European heads of state and government and to the presidents of the European Commission and the European Council.”We have to act together with urgency to face this complex and very sensitive situation,” Conte wrote in one letter.Conte also called for further measures to tackle illegal immigration, including pan-EU rules for private boats rescuing migrants, a strengthening of Frontex and talks with the United Nations on centres for asylum seekers outside Europe.BURDEN SHARINGConte said Italy would take some of the rescued migrants if other countries also agreed to share the burden.Italy’s far-right Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, who is leading a high-profile campaign to exclude humanitarian rescue ships from Italian ports, had insisted earlier on Saturday that the migrants could not land in Italy.Eight of the migrants who needed medical assistance were taken to the Italian island of Lampedusa for treatment.Salvini and Conte agreed by phone on Saturday there were three possible options, a source at the premier’s office said.”The migrants could be distributed immediately among European countries, or Italy would contact Libya to send them back to where they came from,” the source said.A third option would be to leave the migrants on the ships temporarily while their asylum requests are considered, the source added.Libyan officials ruled out helping Rome on the matter.”No, we will not accept any illegal migrants after they are rescued by rescue ships…,” the spokesman of Libya’s coastguard, Ayob Qassem, told Reuters.Under international law, refugees cannot be returned to a place where their lives are in danger. Both the United Nations and EU have ruled that Libya is not safe, though Salvini this week asked EU interior ministers to change that status. German, Austrian and French ministers agreed it could be done, Salvini said.
Popular on Variety ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 Related Bill Bellamy Joins Octavia Spencer Netflix Series ‘Madam CJ Walker’ Drake, the Canadian music artist and Toronto Raptors mega-fan, is getting into the sports-media business with a major assist from NBA superstar LeBron James.Uninterrupted, the athlete-empowerment brand and media company founded by James and his longtime business partner Maverick Carter, is launching in Canada in partnership with Drake. Uninterrupted Canada is the first international expansion for Uninterrupted, which launched in the U.S. in 2015 with backing from Warner Bros. and Turner.“Expanding into Canada with some incredible partners puts Uninterrupted on a global scale and creates new opportunities for even more athletes and fans to be a part of what we’re building,” LeBron James said in a statement.Drake commented, “Uninterrupted has been an incredible platform for athletes to tell their stories and connect with fans. I’m honored to partner with LeBron to bring Uninterrupted to Canada, a country that continuously supports innovation and creativity.” Pop Is Crushing Hip-Hop in 2019, According to Hit Song Study Like the U.S. version, Uninterrupted Canada will produce “athlete-driven” content, events and merchandise. Uninterrupted Canada is collaborating with Shopify Studios to develop content that will spotlight athletes and entrepreneurship.As part of Uninterrupted Canada’s content slate, the company has signed an exclusive first-look deal with Toronto Raptors star Serge Ibaka, which will include a fashion project. Uninterrupted Canada also is producing a motivational series with pitcher Marcus Stroman, formerly with the Toronto Blue Jays and now with the New York Mets, focusing on shorter-than-average athletes titled “Height Doesn’t Measure Heart.” Uninterrupted Canada will also distribute content from Uninterrupted‘s U.S.“Drake understood the power of what LeBron and Maverick are building and the potential to do something special in Canada where there is real understanding and love for our athletes,” said Adel “Future the Prince” Nur, Drake’s business partner.Uninterrupted Canada will be led by CEO Scott Moore and chief content officer Vinay Virmani. Moore comes to Uninterrupted Canada most recently from Rogers Media, where he spent the last eight years as president of Sportsnet. He will lead business operations and development as well as brand partnerships for the company in Canada. Virmani, who will lead Uninterrupted Canada’s creative operation and content development, has a background as a film producer, director, actor and sports fan.Uninterrupted raised $15.8 million in 2015 from WarnerMedia’s Warner Bros. Entertainment and Turner Sports.
Patrick Semansky 70 Mayors Reject Trump Food Stamp Proposal, Saying It Puts… by NPR News Bobby Allyn 8.22.19 3:22pm The Trump administration’s proposal to push millions of people out of the federal food stamp program would punish some of the country’s neediest, including children, seniors and people with disabilities, according to mayors of 70 American cities who have sent a letter to an administrator for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.Under a new rule proposed in July by the Agriculture Department, more than 3 million people would lose their food assistance. The mayors say the move would also hurt their local and regional economies.The change to SNAP is aimed at plugging what critics say is a loophole that allows states to give benefits to people whose savings and other assets the Trump administration says should make them ineligible for food stamps.Anti-poverty groups view the shift as part of a broader push by the Trump administration to peel people off government assistance. Republicans who back the move say the new rules are needed to curb abuse of federal safety net programs.Through the change, the Trump administration aims to cut spending by some $2.5 billion a year. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has pledged the plan will also preserve “the integrity of the program.” But dozens of mayors counter that shaking up the eligibility requirements will exact a toll on some of the nation’s most vulnerable people.”This proposal will put children’s health and development at risk by removing their access to healthy school meals; and harm our economy by reducing the amount of SNAP dollars available to spur regional and local economic activity,” wrote the city leaders, in a letter sent from the U.S. Conference of Mayors.The mostly Democratic mayors who signed the letter come from around the country, from Fremont, Calif., to Houston and from Edina, Minn., to Philadelphia.”Our nation cannot remain globally competitive if our children do not have enough to eat; if our citizens do not have access to affordable health care; if housing and other basic needs are priced out of reach; and if adults who are willing and able to work cannot find jobs that will help them support their families,” the mayors wrote.The majority of the people who receive SNAP are children, the elderly or people who struggle with a disability. Government statistics show that the average monthly benefit per person is $135 a month.Federal food assistance is a pathway out of desperate circumstances, the mayors argue.”SNAP is not only a critical resource in the fight against hunger and food insecurity, but also lifts people out of poverty,” their letter states.Since the new federal rule has been open to public comment, more than 4,000 people have weighed in on the proposal, with many strongly opposing the Trump administration’s move.”It’s horrifying to think that millions of people will not have food stamps! I encourage the American government to act for the people that need a hand up from desperate situations,” wrote Kala Nyx.”I am a 55 year old white male from rural Texas,” wrote Johnny Dotson, who said he has known many families who have depended on SNAP. “You should be ashamed of yourselves if you believe it is ok to make children go hungry for ANY reason. You may think there will be so few children negatively affected it would be worth the cost, but you are wrong.”Others, like Joal Devendorf, embraced the Trump administration’s proposed move.”We should close loopholes such as the SNAP loophole. Temporary Assistance is fine; ongoing dependence is not,” he wrote.The mayors, meanwhile, are fretting about how the overhaul to food assistance will impact their regions’ local economies, saying those who receive benefits spend more money in their communities, as part of a “multiplier effect” that boosts overall economic activity, including job creation.Citing the USDA’s own statistics, the mayors wrote, “during times of economic downturn, every additional $5 dollars in SNAP benefits generates up to $9 dollars of economic activity.”The Agriculture Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The department can move forward with the new rule in about a month, after the 60-day public comment period ends on Sept. 23.Copyright 2019 NPR. To see more, visit NPR.
January 13, 2012 LAS VEGAS — After the better part of a week, the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show is finally winding to a close. With 140,000 people attending, crowds here in the high desert have been as deep as we’ve seen in years. While there hasn’t been a stand-out consumer hit, we’ve learned a lot about where the tech field is headed this year. Here are our top three small-business tech trends you can count on. Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. 1. Digital health care data gains acceptance. Doctors and patients are beginning to digitize significant amounts of information, such as blood test results and body scans. And giants including AT&T, Verizon and even The Ford Motor Company are getting into the business of hosting the networks that carry this information. Health care data is tightly regulated and often can require expensive handling and complex user interfaces.A Sonamba wellbeing monitor/medical alert system”Enabling the networked health care management app is one of the fastest-growing areas of our business services unit,” Chris Hill, vice president for mobility product management for AT&T business solutions, told us.But many small companies, including Durham, N.C.-based Sonamba, which launched a remote health monitoring service three years ago, are also spotting the same opportunity.Related: CES 2012: Three Wild Tools from Tech Entrepreneurs”This space is growing so fast that we are not worried about what Ford is doing,” says company founder Ajit Pendse. Translation: 2012 may be the year of the health care tech boom.A Lenovo USB monitor2. USB monitors are popular for productivity. USB monitors that plug into a computer like a mouse — no battery or bulky electrical cord necessary — are big on productivity for businesses.We found USB monitors from device-makers such as Tokyo-based Toshiba and China’s Lenovo to be unexpectedly effective business tools. For example, Toshiba’s USB 3.0 Mobile LED Monitor is less than one inch thick, weighs less than two pounds, and yet is an exceptional 15.6-inch high definition display. It retails for less than $200.Related: CES 2012 — Five Ways to Boost Productivity with New Tech ToolsThe Lenovo IdeaPad U300s3. Ultrabooks live up to the hype. Ultrabooks — light and thin notebook computers that have tablet-like portability but notebook-like computing power — turned out to be among the stars of the show for business users. The good news: We handled several Ultrabooks, including the Asus Aspire S5 and Lenovo U310, and found them feather-light, with crystal clear screens, strong enclosures and performance that can outstrip tablet devices.For $1,000 or less, and with prices expected to fall quickly, Ultrabooks might be the new business computers for 2012.Related: CES 2012 — Go Green With These Money-Saving Gadgets min read Register Now »
How Success Happens Hear from Polar Explorers, ultra marathoners, authors, artists and a range of other unique personalities to better understand the traits that make excellence possible. August 9, 2013 Turnabout was fair play for Apple.The tech giant got a boost late Friday when the International Trade Commission ruled that rival Samsung infringed on some of its iPhone-related patents for older Galaxy phones and tablets.The ITC ordered a ban on imports of the Samsung products that violated the patents, which cover features like headphone jacks and finger-scrolling.That is the mirror image of a previous ITC ruling that Apple had infringed on some Samsung patents for iPhones and iPads. Apple was banned from selling those phones, but the Obama Administration last week vetoed the ITC’s order.President Obama could issue a similar veto on the Samsung ban within the next 60 days. Samsung is expected to appeal the ITC’s decision.The ITC’s decision came as the two companies faced off in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington. Apple, which won a federal suit in California that Samsung infringed on iPhone patents, is trying to get the courts to force Samsung to stop selling older Galaxy products in the U.S. The appeals court is not expected to issue a ruling in that case for a few months. 1 min read Listen Now