Govt blames PPP for CJIA project delays

first_img4 years after inheriting projectEven though it inherited and took control of the project almost four years ago, the coalition Government has thrown the blame for the delays to the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) expansion project at the feet of the former Administration.A model of the works on the terminal initially proposedAccording to Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson in a statement via his social media account on Monday, the coalition Government is not at fault as it has done its best to make do.Patterson related that in 2015, the Government had the options of scrapping the project altogether, continuing with the original scope of works but exceeding its budget or downsizing the project to keep within the project cost.“Cabinet, after deliberations opted for option C – with the guidelines that the contract sum remains at the same level, that the runway be completed to international specifications, the terminal buildings must be able to adequately accommodate the projected passenger increases and that no unnecessary residents of Timehri North be removed,” Patterson said.A model of the final proposalClaiming that the absence of preliminary reports hampered the project, Patterson went on to accuse the former Administration of allowing extra sand filling and determining the cost of the sand.“Thus, the volume of sand filling required moved from 4.4 million cubic metres to 10.1 million cubic metres – this is due to the fact that the South West section is at a lower elevation than the North East. The cost per cubic metre was also determined by my predecessor.”“The decision to also extend the runway in the South West direction was taken by the then [People’s Progressive Party] PPP Government since 2013. This decision resulted in additional excavation and sand filling,” Patterson claimed.Even though Patterson said the airport specifications were downgraded to limit cost overruns, Government went to the National Assembly last year to request $346.5 million in supplementary funds towards the purchase and installation of two additional air bridges.Public Infrastructure Minister David PattersonIn 2019, taxpayers are expected to hand out even more funds as the project remains in an incomplete state. Minister within the Public Infrastructure Ministry, Annette Ferguson had told the media in January that additional works are still to be carried out on the multi-billion Guyana dollar facility.In mid-December 2018, Minister Ferguson had revealed that $65 million was approved to be spent on the Airport’s upgrade of its technology which was geared to be able to track the weather, among other aspects.She had also explained that the new technology will assist pilots in tracking the weather patterns to make better landing decisions as the airport was making the transition from manual to digital. This $65 million was in addition to the $346 million which had been sought earlier in 2018.According to documents seen by Guyana Times, as of January this year, outstanding works to be completed include the South West runway extension pavement works and sections of the Departure Terminal; namely Immigration, Security Screening, and Duty-Free concessions areas.Meanwhile, as of January CHEC has been paid US$132 million. When payments to the consultant and local contractors are also factored in, that sum rises to US$142 million. Government’s contract with CHEC expired in December of last year.The projectIn 2012, under the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Administration, Guyana secured a US$138 million loan from the China Exim (Export-Import) Bank to fund the expansion and modernisation project, for which the Guyana Government was slated to inject some US$12 million.Upon completion, the Airport is expected to have four air passenger boarding bridges for arrivals and departures; a 450-seat departure area, escalators and elevators in addition to an extended runway catering for larger categories of aircraft.However, the extension of works into 2019 comes in disparity to an earlier commitment by Government where it committed that the works associated with the expansion would have been completed by the last quarter of 2018. Initially, the project was scheduled to be completed within 32 months of its commencement in 2013. Later on, officials were optimistic of the project being completed by 2017.The A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change, when in opposition, had cut the funds the then PPP Government had allocated for the CJIA expansion.Attempts to contact former Public Works Minister, Robeson Benn to comment on the issue proved futile.last_img read more

SPORT-FIFA U17 TWO LT(SPB3)

first_img“We are looking at October, 2016, by which time all the “We are looking at October, 2016, by which time all the core infrastructure must be ready, one year before the tournament,” said Javier Ceppi, the U-17 World Cup Tournament Director. “We have come over here to see five or six ISL (Indian Super League) matches. We were here for ISL 2014 Final as well. So we know how the stadium operates, when Mumbai City FC is playing. We are satisfied with certain changes to make it compliant to FIFA standards, but it is a good base. “A few friendly matches will be played prior to the tournament. It is a good opportunity for Indian national team and U-19 team to play in this stadium,” he added. According to the Ceppi, September-October is the single best window to have the tournament. Asked about air pollution in Mumbai, Yarza quipped said, “We are requesting for some fresh air, but we are not sure whether it will be responded to.” Vijay Patil, owner of D Y Patil stadium, who was present on the occasion, said, “This is a historic moment for Indian sport. We are deeply honoured that FIFA is visiting our facility. We are putting our best foot forward and it is going to be a great movement in Indias sporting history.”Apart from Yarza, the FIFA delegation comprised Tracy Lu, Felipe Restrepo and Vijay Parthasarathy (Competitions Department), Christina Hollerl (Marketing), Jochem Steinhoff (Media), Paul Calder (TV), Jean Pierre Koeltgen (Ticketing), Mike Pfister (Senior Development Manager) and Shaji Prabhakaran (Development Officer). PTI NRB SSR SDL AH AH BASadvertisementlast_img read more

SELECTMEN NEWS Big Issues To Be Discussed At Meeting On Monday December 10

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Board of Selectmen meets this Monday, December 10, 2018 at Town Hall (Room 9). An Executive Session begins at 6:30pm. The public portion of the meeting begins at 7pm.There are some noteworthy items on the agenda, including:DPW Director Michael Woods, Town Engineer Paul Alunni and Planning Director Valerie Gingrich will discuss the Woburn Street/Lowell Street intersection.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the North Wilmington MBTA Commuter Rail Station.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the Butters Row Bridge Replacement.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide the results of the recent Annual Town Meeting Survey.Town Manager Jeff Hull will share good news about a recent award won by the Yentile Farm Recreational Facility.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the FY2020 budget process.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on Russell Disposal’s performance bond.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on placing AEDs at all town parks.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide an update on the Fire Department’s fire pumper situation.Town Manager Jeff Hull will announce the appointment of Laura T. deWahl to the Wilmington Conservation Commission.Selectmen will consider the approvals of various licenses for town businesses.The meeting will be telecast live by Wilmington Community Television on WCTV-G — Channel 22 on Comcast and Channel 38 on Verizon.  The meeting will also be streamed on WCTV’s website HERE.Wilmington Apple intends to report on many of the items above – and any other news that comes from the meeting — over the next two weeks. Wilmington Apple sometimes live-tweets the meeting HERE.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Thank You To Our Sponsor:Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSELECTMEN NEWS: Selectmen To Discuss Senior Center, Palmer Park, WHS Gym Floor At September 9 MeetingIn “Government”SELECTMEN NOTEBOOK: 6 Things That Happened At This Month’s Selectmen’s MeetingIn “Government”SELECTMEN NEWS: Childhood Cancer Study, Olin, Cook Ave., Recreation Dept. Update On Agenda For Tonight’s MeetingIn “Government”last_img read more

WoW Classic might get shorter queue times thanks to Blizzard fix

first_img 6 Share your voice You can tell that I’m on a British server since the players instinctively started queueing up to pick up a quest item each in turn #WoWClassic pic.twitter.com/l4A7GtXTta— jack 🏳️‍🌈🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 commissions open (@Grimolk) August 26, 2019 Tags Those interested in playing WoW Classic need to purchase a subscription from the Blizzard Shop, which costs $15 a month. This subscription also gives players access to the current version of WoW. All current WoW subscribers will have access to WoW Classic.The idea for WoW Classic came from players who started their own private servers with older versions of the game, commonly known as vanilla WoW. In April 2016, Blizzard began shutting down these unauthorized servers, causing a backlash from the fanbase, but it did spur the developer to look for a proper solution. Blizzard made the first WoW Classic announcement in November 2017 and in May gave it the Aug. 26 release date.Originally published Aug. 26, 12:24 p.m. PT.Updates, Aug. 27 and 28: Adds details and developer comments. WoW Classic is ready to launch. Blizzard Entertainment Players can now return to Azeroth like it was in 2006, as World of Warcraft Classic servers went live Monday. Long queue times to play the game upset many players, but Blizzard Entertainment said Wednesday that it’ll cut down on the wait by deploying a hot-fix to increase the number of people allowed to play on a server. WoW Classic went live in the Americas starting at 3 p.m. PT Monday. Players who tried logging in right away likely found themselves waiting. Multiple players shared their queue time in the WoW Classic subreddit, with waiting periods ranging from 30 minutes to a few hours. A Wednesday post on the Blizzard forums for WoW Classic says the developer is deploying a fix to increase the number of people who can log in and play the game. It expects this to shorten the wait time, and for some servers to have no waiting at all. Ian Hazzikostas, World of Warcraft game director, responded to the criticism on the Blizzard forums over the long queues. “We’ve tried to prioritize the long-term health of our realm communities, recognizing that if we undershot the mark in terms of launch servers, we could move quickly to add additional realms in the opening hours,” he said Tuesday. “But if we went out with too many servers, weeks or months down the line we’d have a much tougher problem to solve.”Another sign of the WoW Classic’s popularity: More than 1 million viewers watched various streams of the game on Twitch on Monday. According to Twitch analytics site SullyGnome, viewers watched more than 20 million hours in the past seven days. The game predates many of the expansions released over the past 15 years since it was first launched. The WoW Classic version of the game is 1.12, known as the Drums of War update released in August 2006, prior to the release of the first major expansion, The Burning Crusade.Blizzard expected extended queues Monday and added more realms for players to join when the servers went live, but it wasn’t enough because so many players attempted to log on. The developer also increased the number of character slots to 10 per realm.Players who were able to finally log in received a surprise on certain servers. Everyone starts at level 1 in WoW Classic meaning there are hundreds of people trying to complete the same low-level quests. Some servers saw players lining up in an orderly fashion to take turns defeating certain monsters required for a mission.  I quit World of Warcraft in 2010. Here’s why I came back Now playing: Watch this: 3:35 Comments When the amount of people is too much to tag a boss, you form groups of 5 in a line! Best community ever @Warcraft #WoWClassic pic.twitter.com/lFpAWbmnqn— 00SPYDER (@00Spyder) August 26, 2019 Video Games Online Blizzard took down servers for a short period of time for maintenance on Tuesday. When servers came back up, players were still dealing with long queue times to log in to the game.  Why I love #WoWClassic 😀 #Warcraft pic.twitter.com/SOx00k34C0— I is Dazi the Whale Shark (@FrostytheElf) August 27, 2019 Activisionlast_img read more

Kapil Sharma Show Will Navjot Singh Sidhu return post his resignation as

first_imgKapil Sharma and Navjot Singh SidhuTwitterNavjot Singh Sidhu, on Sunday, tweeted a hand-written letter which said, “I hereby resign as Minister from the Punjab Cabinet.” He also tweeted that he will be sending his resignation to the Chief Minister of Punjab. And within no time, his fans started congratulating him for his ‘comeback’ on The Kapil Sharma Show.Sidhu was asked to leave the comedy show after facing massive outrage on social media over his comment on the Pulwama attack. Earlier, Kapil Sharma had opened up about Sidhu’s return to The Kapil Sharma Show saying after the elections, Sidhu’s return is inevitable.Sidhu was one of the most essential part of The Kapil Sharma Show and his chemistry with Kapil Sharma and spontaneous banter with celebrity guests were not just entertaining for the viewers but highly engaging as well.After Sidhu’s sudden ouster, Archana Puran Singh had replaced him on the show but many people felt that she was miserably failing as the co-host. Many were of the opinion that Archana had nothing new to offer to the viewers apart from her uncontrollable laughter on the show.From Sidhu’s shero-shayari to his genuine laughter to his bonding with Kapil Sharma to his anecdotes, Archana has not been able to match up to the precedent set by Sidhu as the co-host on The Kapil Sharma Show. In fact, there hasn’t been a single episode where Kapil had missed pulling Archana’s leg over Sidhu’s return on the show.And while Archana has always maintained that she will never leave her seat even for Sidhu, it remains to be seen if the makers of the show would consider bringing Sidhu back on the show as the co-host.Hope you will come to #KapilSharmashow or cricket commentary again..In Modi period its too hard to live as a opposition.#Sidhu #NavjotSinghSidhu pic.twitter.com/rVlq9m8UtL— Soumya Swarup Das (@imbobby07) July 14, 2019Congratulations sir. Welcome back to @KapilSharmaK9 show.#Sidhu is back ! https://t.co/xKIil9owcn — Shankh Shukla (@ShankhShukla) July 14, 2019last_img read more

Study Stress And Even OCD Symptoms On The Rise After 2016 Election

first_img X Listen Share Laura Isensee/Houston Public MediaParent and activist Travis McGee addressed a crowd of people at the HISD meeting while the board was in closed session and before a scuffle erupted with police officers.center_img 00:00 /11:16 No matter how you associate politically, it seems fair to say that since the 2016 presidential election, politics have been especially fraught with conflict and seem to be increasingly present on people’s minds.In fact, politics may be so much on people’s mind that it causes them an undue amount of stress similar to anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders, according to new research.The research indicates that, following the 2016 election, many individuals have reported intrusive thoughts — and even ritualistic behaviors — associated with anxiety and stress related specifically to the state of politics. And the symptoms are present no matter what party you align with.To find out more, Craig Cohen talks with Sandra Cepeda and Eric Storch from Baylor College of Medicine and learns how this data might be used in the future. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:last_img read more

University Of Houstons Energy Research Park Changes Name Focus

first_img X Listen Share The Energy Research Park is only a few years old but it already has a new name: It’s now the UH Technology Bridge.It’s part of a five-year plan to better align the park with Houston’s growing innovation ecosystem.UH physics professor Seamus “Shay” Curran has successfully used the facilities to commercialize a nanotechnology product he developed: Integricote.Click on the audio above to listen to the interview. center_img 00:00 /03:33 Florian MartinUH physics professor Shay Curran shows off the nanotech coating he has applied to a piece of fence. The coating shields it from environmental influences. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:last_img