The Breast is Best

first_img Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, September 21, Kingston – Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, has reiterated calls for mothers to consider exclusive breastfeeding of their babies for the first six months of life in order to reduce infant mortality and morbidity rates.   He noted that appropriate breastfeeding practices have the potential to lower infant mortality in children five years old and younger by 14 per cent, while appropriate complementary feeding up to two years of age can prevent an additional six per cent of deaths among the age cohort.The Minister, who was addressing the National Breastfeeding Week conference and launch at the Jamaica Conference Centre, downtown Kingston, on Tuesday (September 19), said the target is for 50 per cent of infants to be exclusively breastfeeding at six months of age.   He noted that in 2005, the rate of exclusive breastfeeding at six months was 15.1 per cent, increasing to 23.8 per cent in 2011.“However, this is still well off course to meet the Global Nutrition Target of at least 50 per cent by 2025,” he said.Dr. Tufton said Jamaica is committed to reducing infant mortality and morbidity, and has agreed to, or has endorsed several international agreements and goals that are aimed at promoting and protecting infant and young child health.   He said that gains are being made, but there is still much work to be done to achieve the targets. He is urging persons to become informed about the benefits of breastfeeding.Research has shown that breastfeeding helps to reduce the risk of childhood asthma and obesity and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) later in life, such as diabetes and heart disease.   Long durations of breastfeeding also protect maternal health by helping to lower the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Winston De La Haye, said National Breastfeeding Week is being observed from September 17 to 23 under the theme ‘Sustaining Breastfeeding Together’ and emphasises that “all sectors, all groups have a role to play in supporting breastfeeding”.He said the objectives of the two-day conference are to highlight the role of infant and young child feeding in the achievement of the sustainable development goals, share current elements of the benefits and impact of breastfeeding and effective strategies for the protection, promotion and support of breastfeeding.It is in keeping with World Breastfeeding Week 2017, observed by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) in August through partnership with World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), along with civil society groups.Also at the launch were  Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/WHO Representative in Jamaica, Bermuda and Cayman Islands, Dr. Noreen Jack; UNICEF Representative in Jamaica, Mark Connolly; and Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Representative in Jamaica, The Bahamas and Belize, Dr. Gillian Smith.Release: JISlast_img read more

Missing woman with severe dementia reported missing found safe

first_img Posted: February 13, 2018 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) —  A 76-year-old dementia patient from southeast San Diego was found Wednesday after being missing for more than 24 hours, police said.Mary McSwain was evaluated by medics and taken to a hospital after she was located, said Officer Brianda Zendejas of the San Diego Police Department’s missing persons unit. McSwain’s condition and the circumstances of her discovery were not immediately known.McSwain had been last seen leaving her house about 11 p.m. Monday. Police said she may have forgotten how to get back home due to her cognitive challenges. Updated: 10:08 AM KUSI Newsroom Missing woman with severe dementia reported missing found safecenter_img February 13, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Sonakshi Sinhas arrest Is it publicity gimmick for the actress upcoming event

first_imgSonakshi SinhaPR HandoutSome videos featuring Bollywood actress Sonakshi Sinha being arrested are creating ripples on social media, but sources from the B-Town say that it is a publicity gimmick for her upcoming event.Varinder Chawla, one of the noted photographers of Bollywood, shared a couple of videos on Instagram and wrote, “SHOCKING: #MissionMangal star Sonakshi Sinha gets into legal trouble during promotions  #aslisonaarrested #sonakshisinha #AsliSonaArrested #WhereIsSonakshiSinha #Sonakshi #SonakshiSinha #Aslisona.”Viral Bhayani, who is another popular fashion photographer from Mumbai, also shared the same videos on Instagram and wrote, “Looks like #SonakshiSinha is in some trouble. #aslisonaarrested #AsliSonaArrested #WhereIsSonakshiSinha #Sonakshi #SonakshiSinha #Aslisona.”In the first videos, Sonakshi Sinha is seen declining to talk to reporters as she enters an office. In the second clip, she is seen yelling at the person, who is handcuffing her, “You can’t arrest me like this. Do you who I am? I have not done anything, I am innocent. How can you arrest me like that?”These videos fueled the speculations that Sonakshi Sinha was arrested in connection with a cheating case filed by an event organiser in Uttar Pradesh. When approached her PR team, they said that they are clueless about it, but they did not stop reporting this development. In reply to IBTimes, India, they said, “We are looking into it.”Neither the photographers, who shot the video, nor her PR team wants to speak about Sonakshi Sinha’s arrest, but they want it to be publicized in the media. This clearly shows that it is a publicity gimmick. A source, who is aware of this video, told IBTimes India, “It is paid promotional video, which is meant to be a publicity gimmick for her upcoming event.”However, some of the people, who responded to the above posts, also feel that it is a publicity gimmick. A few said that she should be arrested in real for the kind of performance she has given in her recent movies. Here are some of their reaction.Sohil_monvelvala: Shayad koi movie ki shooting ya phir add shooting ka sence hai?Shoesbuykart: Fake ho ya real ,how can she say do you know who I am ,c**t*y* hai tu samji Sanjay Dutt Ko jail ho Sakti hai toh tu konsi Oscar winning actress’s chupchap jail me baithSrimalayasouravvarun: Itna ghatiya picture banane ki sajaa to yaahi hona chahiyeKetanlondhe: Deserved to be in prison to spare us from her crap filmsVis6807: Isko arrest krke Kashmir bhej do waha ke aatankwadi isse dekh kar bhag jayenge…Awesome_abhi__: Badshah hero he bhai inki movie me inko to kaale pani ki saja milni chahiyePpatchysense: Hona chiye arrest bhaiya acting ki to ek kar Rakhi hai or Abhi khanadani chutyapa main vo lead hai haad hai Bollywood chutyalast_img read more

United Airlines manhandles passenger off flight

first_imgUnited Airlines planes on the tarmac at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, California. AFP file photoUnited Airlines found itself in the middle of a social media storm on Monday, after the US carrier forcefully removed a passenger from a flight due to overbooking.The incident occurred Sunday on a United Express flight bound for Louisville, Kentucky, from Chicago. United Express flights are operated by one of eight regional airlines which partner with United.The airline said it had asked for volunteers to give up their seats on the flight, and police were called after one passenger refused to leave the plane.Smartphone video posted online showed three Chicago Department of Aviation police officers struggling with a seated middle-aged man.The man started to scream as he is dragged off while other passengers looked on—some recording the event with their phones.One passenger can be heard yelling, “Oh my God, look at what you did to him!”The incident ignited social media outrage, with “United” a trending term on Twitter, Facebook and Google.It was another example of bad press and negative social media coverage for United, after an incident in late March when two teenage girls were denied boarding a flight in Denver because they wore leggings.The airline defended its action, saying the girls were flying on passes that require them to abide by a dress code in return for free or discounted travel.In Sunday’s incident, United told US media that it had asked for volunteers to leave the overbooked plane.“One customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate,” United spokesman Charlie Hobart was quoted by the Chicago Tribune newspaper as saying.The airline did not return AFP’s request for comment.United Airlines chief executive Oscar Munoz addressed the latest controversy in a statement posted Monday on the airline’s website.“This is an upsetting event to all of us,” Munoz said, adding that the airline was conducting a “detailed review of what happened.”“We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation,” he said.Tyler Bridges, who posted video of Sunday’s incident on Twitter, wrote: “not a good way to treat a Doctor trying to get to work because they overbooked.”He described passenger reaction on the plane as “disturbed.”“Kids were crying,” he said.Bridges also wrote that the man appeared bloodied by his encounter with law enforcement and posted video showing him later running back on the plane, repeatedly saying, “I have to go home.”The man appeared to be pacing and disoriented.US airlines are allowed to involuntarily bump passengers off overbooked flights, with compensation, if enough volunteers cannot be found, according to the US Department of Transportation.last_img read more

US asks nations to repatriate jihadists

first_imgAn Iraqi photographer shows a girl a picture taken on his camera at Nafoura square in the al-Zuhur neighbourhood in the eastern part of the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on 5 January. AFP File PhotoThe United States urged other countries Monday to bring home hundreds of Islamic State fighters captured in Syria, a delicate issue for allies such as France and Britain as president Donald Trump withdraws troops.Washington drew a line on the jihadists two days before foreign ministers from Europe and the Middle East gather in the US capital for talks on how to fight the Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, once the US military presence ends.US allies have been grappling for weeks with what to do with foreign fighters detained in the war-ravaged country by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, who have warned that they may not be able to guard their jails once US troops leave.”The United States calls upon other nations to repatriate and prosecute their citizens detained by the SDF and commends the continued efforts of the SDF to return these foreign terrorist fighters to their countries of origin,” State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said in a statement.”Despite the liberation of ISIS-held territory in Iraq and Syria, ISIS remains a significant terrorist threat and collective action is imperative to address this shared international security challenge,” Palladino said.Another US official, speaking to reporters on condition of anonymity, acknowledged that northeastern Syria had become a “very fluid space.””As events unfold, there are any number of scenarios under which positive control of some of the individuals currently in custody could change,” the official said.He voiced concern that jihadists could then leave Syria for “other, more permissive places around the world from which they could seek to carry forward the fight.”Fears in EuropeTrump stunned Western allies on December 19 by announcing that the United States would pull its 2,000 troops out of Syria, declaring that IS had been defeated.One of the countries most concerned is France, which has been hit by a series of IS-inspired attacks including the grisly November 2015 siege of the Bataclan nightclub in Paris.France — which along with Britain maintains a small deployment of special forces in Syria — last week opened the door to bringing back its citizens, after earlier insisting that the jihadists should be prosecuted locally and not step foot back in France.The French foreign ministry said its goal was to “avoid the escape and scattering of these potentially dangerous individuals” and acknowledged that the situation on the ground was changing with the US withdrawal.A French security source, speaking on condition of anonymity, earlier told AFP 130 people could be repatriated. A second French official said the group included 70 to 80 children held with their mothers.Britain has meanwhile been grappling with what to do with the two surviving members of a quartet — nicknamed “The Beatles” for their accents — who were notorious for videotaped beheadings.Britain has shown no interest in bringing home the Kurdish-jailed pair, Alexanda Amon Kotey and El Shafee el-Sheikh, amid reports they were stripped of their nationality.A report last year said the United States was willing to take them in its military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba — an option that would be deeply controversial in Britain, partly due to the US practice of the death penalty.Talk of security zoneThe SDF are worried that, without US troops as a buffer, they will be crushed by neighbouring Turkey — which equates them with Kurdish separatists at home and encouraged Trump to withdraw US forces.Shortly after Trump’s announcement, the SDF warned it would pull back from the battle against IS if Turkey attacked and may redeploy its prison guards.Wednesday’s 79-nation conference in Washington is expected to look further at ways to avoid what Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in a comment that angered Turkey, warned could be the “slaughter” of Kurdish fighters in Syria.Trump and Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan have discussed a “safe zone” which Ankara wants on Syrian territory. European allies are cool to the idea and the Kurdish fighters want the zone to be directly on the border with coalition forces on the Turkish side.Foreign ministers will also hear at the conference from Nobel laureate Nadia Murad, a member of the Yazidi minority in Iraq who was abducted and raped, like thousands of women and girls, by jihadists.Since obtaining freedom, Murad has campaigned for accountability over the atrocities and urged Iraq and other countries to investigate the fate of Yazidi who remain missing.last_img read more