Manchester United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger says he will not play for another club in Europe despite being unable to seal a place in the squad under new manager Jose Mourinho.Schweinsteiger, who is yet to make a first team appearance for United this season, has been made to train with the club’s reserves and would be sold after Mourinho signed French midfielder Paul Pogba from Juventus, according to media reports.”MUFC will be my last club in Europe. I respect other clubs, but Manchester United was the only one which could make me leave Bayern Munich,” Schweinsteiger said on Twitter.Since moving to Old Trafford from Bayern Munich last year, the German, who announced his retirement from international football last month, was limited to 18 league appearances in his first season due to regular injuries and poor form. (Also read: Bastian Schweinsteiger retires from international football)However, the 32-year-old insisted he was ready to compete when called upon.”I will be ready, if the team needs me. This is all I can say about the current situation. I want to thank the fans for the amazing support over the recent weeks,” he added.Schweinsteiger and Germany forward Lukas Podolski, who also ended his international career earlier this month, will be honoured with a farewell match against Finland in Moenchengladbach on Aug. 31.Schweinsteiger played 500 matches for Bayern Munich, winning eight Bundesliga titles and the 2013 Champions League. He was also Germany’s vice-captain when they edged Argentina in extra-time to win the 2014 World Cup.advertisementA brief message to the amazing fans about my current situation. @ManUtd pic.twitter.com/Rf3jLKNwK4 Basti Schweinsteiger (@BSchweinsteiger) August 24, 2016
Third place in the Malaysian Grand Prix was not what Nico Rosberg was hoping to savour, but it must have tasted sweeter than the champagne he drank out of Daniel Ricciardo’s boot as the German inched closer to his maiden Formula One title.Rosberg went into Sunday’s race with an eight-point advantage over Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the overall standings.He looked set to leave with a five-point deficit and a fourth-placed finish after being spun around and dropped to the back of the field by Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel at the start.Instead, Rosberg came away with a podium and a lead of 23 points over Hamilton after the Briton’s hopes of a 50th career win literary went up in smoke, as well as fire, 16 laps from the end. (Also read: Malaysian GP: Daniel Ricciardo leads Red Bull one-two as Lewis Hamilton retires)”Well, it doesn’t feel like a win because it’s only third place and today was a tough day,” said Rosberg on the podium after sharing in race-winner Ricciardo’s now trademark ‘shoey’ podium celebrations and playfully pulling a sour face.”Of course I’m happy with the comeback…I definitely didn’t think that was going to be possible.”Rosberg surged to a 43-point lead over Hamilton early in the season until a lacklustre middle part of the campaign allowed the Briton to overturn it and head into into the August summer break with a 19-point advantage.Rosberg, who won the opening four races this year, has been the man in form since racing resumed, igniting a fresh streak of three successive victories.advertisementA fourth-straight win on Sunday appeared unlikely, however, even before his spin, with Hamilton back in the groove and Rosberg acknowledged the helping hand luck had given him.”Listen, I’m doing my race and I’m fighting my way from last and I want to get as high as possible,” the German, who also escaped unscathed after brushing bodywork with Kimi Raikkonen’s Ferrari and hung on to third despite a 10-second time penalty for it. (Also read: Give Max Verstappen a break, says Lewis Hamilton)”Now, of course it’s a good thing for me that I’ve got more points and that’s it. There’s no hiding that fact.”Rosberg will continue to hold the points advantage over Hamilton even if he finishes second to the Briton in three of the remaining five races.Hobbled by reliability problems while fighting for the title in 2014, the 31-year-old is still taking it race by race.”I’m not going to start thinking like that,” he said.”I want to win the races, that’s it.”
Russian wrestler Khasan Baroev, a gold medallist at the 2004 Olympic Games, has said that he decided to petition against the decision of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to strip him of his silver medal from the 2008 Beijing Games.On Thursday, the IOC had issued an official statement saying it disqualified Khasan Baroev from the 2008 Beijing Olympics in which he took silver in the men’s 120kg Greco-Roman wrestling event, after reanalysis of his samples from the Olympics resulted in a positive test for prohibited turinabol.Shortly after that Baroev said that he would not go to court.”I have changed my mind, I will fight for myself and for my medal, and I will go to court,” he told Tass.Three more Russian athletes are on the IOC list. Weightlifters Khadzhimurat Akkaev and Dmitry Lapikov have been stripped of bronze medals for testing positive for the prohibited substance dehydrochlormethyltestosterone (turinabol).The IOC has also disqualified Elena Slesarenko, who finished fourth in the women’s high jump at the Beijing Olympics.
England’s leg-spinner Adil Rashid lauded the bowlers for maintaining a good line and length to put the visitors back in contention in the third cricket Test against India here on Sunday. (Scorecard)India posted 271/6 in their first innings, trailing England by 12 runs at the end of the second day’s play with Ravichandran Ashwin (57 batting) and Ravindra Jadeja (31 batting) at the crease.Rashid (3/81) struck in only the second over after tea as the well set Chestehwar Pujara (51) was caught by Chris Woakes on the leg-side. He had earlier claimed opener Parthiv Patel’s (42) wicket. (India vs England, 3rd Test, Day 2: As it happened)The leg-spinner again struck in his very next over, trapping Ajinkya Rahane (0) leg before. Rahane, who lasted all of six balls, was outfoxed by the spin as the ball hit front pad, plumb in front of the wicket.Rashid’s guile gave England a fighting chance to bowl India out cheaply in the first innings. (Mohali Test: Virat Kohli’s India look to extend lead against England)”We bowled exceptionally well. It was a good effort with the ball and in the field. It was a very important final session. You stick to your plans long enough, you get wickets,” Rashid said after the match. Commenting on the Mohali pitch which traditionally favours fast bowlers, Rashid, who scalped three wickets, said: “The pitch seems good enough. I feel okay but at times you don’t feel as good; that is when you have to dig deep.” (Mohali Test: Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja to India’s rescue after England fightback)advertisement”It was nice to have that variation on a good spot against Rahane. We have still got four wickets tom get. Not looking that far ahead (our batting),” he added.
Javier Hernandez is daring to dream of a top-four finish with West Ham after seeing off speculation regarding his future.The Mexico international striker first sparked exit talk in January and has seen the transfer rumours roll over into the summer window.A positive World Cup, which saw him reach 50 goals for his country, fuelled speculation that the former Manchester United star could be on the move. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! Chicharito has, however, opted to stay put and is now targeting Champions League football with the Hammers.He told the club’s official website on the back of sizeable investment under new boss Manuel Pellegrini: “The club is doing well with improvements in all the areas, in the team, but also in all the staff they have brought in with the manager.“Top six, top four is the aim, as high as we can. I’m a dreamer.“I work hard and my thoughts are always positive. I am always aiming as high as I can and if we can put West Ham in the Champions League why not? That’s the dream, that’s the idea and hopefully we can get it.”Hernandez managed just eight goals for West Ham last season, as the club battled to steer a course to Premier League safety under Slaven Bilic and David Moyes.He is hoping for better in 2018-19, with Pellegrini having convinced him to remain at the London Stadium with the promise of more opportunities.Chicharito added: “The manager called me before the World Cup because he knew my situation was difficult at the end of last season, and he made me feel very good.“He told me I was going to be an important player and would play an important role in this team, so he gave me a lot of confidence.“I’m very motivated and I know I need to work hard to win a place in the starting line-up and then perform as well as I can to help the team with goals, assists and good performances to get the points to move up the table.”West Ham are set to open their campaign away at title hopefuls Liverpool on Sunday.
Tiger Woods took his first public golf shots in over two months during an event to announce his first public course on Tuesday but the former world number one remained noncommittal about his return to competitive action.Woods, who has not played a tournament since pulling out of a European Tour event in February because of back spasms, took two swings into a par-three hole in front of a crowd that were on hand for his course design announcement in Missouri.His first shot off a makeshift tee bounced off some rocks that will front the green on the still-to-be built course while his second landed about 10 feet from the hole.”The back is progressing,” said Woods. “I have good days and bad days. I’ve had three back operations and that’s just kind of the nature of the business unfortunately. That’s all I can say.”Woods returned to the PGA Tour in January after a 17-month absence following back surgery. He missed the cut at the Farmers Insurance Open and shot an opening-round 77 a week later in Dubai before withdrawing.His course, which is scheduled to open in 2019, will honour late Missouri native and three-times major champion Payne Stewart and be called Payne’s Valley.
By Chandraboli Mitra New Delhi, May 21 (PTI) One went on to make history while the other missed out on much deserved success but there is no hint of jealousy in the equation between Sakshi Malik and Vinesh Phogat and they continue to benefit from each other by training together. Sakshi scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal when she bagged a bronze at the Rio Games last year, but Vinesh was unfortunate to bow out of the mega-event with a freak knee injury. However, Vinesh feels the success at the Olympics has not gone to Sakshis head at all and she still prefers to practice with her. “Sakshi has not changed at all after the Olympic medal. She remains the same and so is our equation. We have known each other from our cadet days. Our bond is very strong. She still looks forward to practising with me. Post Olympics, when I was recovering from my injury, Sakshi would keep asking me when I would return to full fitness and start practicing with her,” said Vinesh. Sakshi fights in the 58kg category, while Vineshs weight category is 48kg. Elaborating on how the two wrestlers, with a difference of 10kg between them, benefit by training with one another, Vinesh said, “We have been practice partners for a long time now. Our difference in weight helps us. “As Sakshi has higher weight, I try to match her strength and that helps me in increasing my power and stamina. On the other hand, my agility helps her improve her speed. Both of us motivate each other all the time,” explained the 22-year-old. After a nine-month injury lay-off, Vinesh, one of the Phogat sisters, made a comeback to the mat with a bang and clinched a silver medal at the recently-concluded Asian Championship. Vinesh fought in the 55kg category at the Championship, the heaviest weight division she has ever competed in at any tournament, because her doctors and coach Kuldeep Malik had advised her not to lose too much weight post her recovery as that could have weakened her muscles. “I have been asked to lose weight slowly. I dont want to fight in 55kg. At the World Championship in August, I want to be back in my original weight category of 48kg,” said the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games gold-medallist. Inspite of participating in a higher weight category at the Asian Championship, Vinesh came up with a commendable performance. Having won her quarterfinal and semifinal bouts without breaking a sweat, she gave a tough fight to Japans Sae Nanjo in the gold-medal round before going down 4-8 in a closely- fought contest. The wrestler is thankful to the medical staff of her sponsor — JSW Sports — for bringing her back on her feet at a time when she thought that her career was all but over. Praising their efforts, Vinesh said: “I am happy to be back on the mat. I thought I would never be able to make a come back again. I had a feeling as if that was the end of my career. “But the physios helped me to not just attain fitness but also gave me confidence that I could be my previous self and compete with the same intensity,” said Vinesh. PTI CM PM PMadvertisement
England’s resounding victory over Australia on Saturday enabled Bangladesh to book an unexpected spot in Champions Trophy semi-finals but the South Asians are playing down expectations of going all the way to claim a maiden major title.The hosts had already qualified before the Edgbaston encounter but relished the chance to put one over their bitterest rivals and eased to a 40-run win in the rain-affected Group A finale to end Australia’s interest in the competition.That loss enabled Bangladesh, who had stunned New Zealand the previous day, to advance at their expense and the Tigers are keeping their feet firmly planted on the ground after reaching the last four of a global tournament for the first time.”It’s a big thing for our cricket. It is an opportunity for us but I want to request everybody not to think we will go all the way to win the title,” Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza told reporters at the team hotel in Cardiff.”It’s a tournament of the top eight teams and more challenging than the World Cup. So, to be in the semi-final is itself an achievement for us. It is also a reward for our continued effort towards improving our game,” he added.”I think everyone has contributed to what we are today. The whole nation will be with us as they were in our desperate times and good times.”All four teams in Group B — India, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Pakistan — can still advance going into their final round of pool matches but Bangladesh have no preference over who they wish to face at Edgbaston on Thursday.advertisement”It can be any team and we are not thinking about that. Our focus for the next few days will be to prepare ourselves for the next game,” Mortaza added.Number six Mahmudullah and all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan made the highest partnership for any wicket in an ODI for the side when they put on 224 to take the match away from New Zealand but Bangladesh are resisting the temptation to tinker with their lineup.”We have given him (Mahmudullah) a role around six months ago, which is to bat at number six. He has responded well batting there,” batting coach Thilan Samaraweera said.”He was actually batting further up when I took the job in 2015 but after that, the coaching staff thought about getting him ready for the 2019 World Cup with the role at six.”He is doing well there, finishing the game for the team recently, in (the recent tri-series in) Ireland and against New Zealand on Friday.”
Britain’s Johanna Konta says she is fit to play at the Wimbledon Championships after recovering from a heavy fall that forced her to pull out of a warm-up tournament.Konta, who will be seeded sixth, hurt her back and banged her head as she tumbled on the grass during last week’s quarter-final win over Angelique Kerber at the Aegon International in Eastbourne.A shaken Konta pulled out of last Friday’s semi-final, raising doubts over her participation at Wimbledon, which starts on Monday.However, the 26-year-old said on Sunday that she had recovered well and, like fellow Briton Andy Murray, intends to forget her injury problems and take her place in the draw.”I’m definitely recovering really well,” she told a news conference. “I practised today. I felt good. I’m definitely looking forward to playing my first round. Like Andy, I’d like to think that I’m fit enough to play seven matches but I’m going to be taking it one at a time.”By a quirk of the draw, Konta’s first-round opponent is Hsieh Su-Wei, the 31-year-old Taiwanese who knocked her out of the French Open at the same stage last month.”It’s quite interesting that I actually get to play her again,” said Konta. “I guess in terms of the probability of playing each other first round in a slam in a row, that’s actually pretty cool.”Well, I know she does enjoy the grass. She’s a Wimbledon champion in doubles here on the grass, so she definitely can play on this surface. Actually, the first time I played her, I lost to her on the grass.advertisement”I’m definitely going into the match knowing that she will be playing very comfortably on the surface, she will definitely look to make things difficult for me.”With no Serena Williams or obvious favourite in a wide-open draw, Konta will face extra pressure this year as the home crowd urge her to emulate Murray’s recent success in the men’s tournament.”I know there’s, I guess, more attention, and there’s more interest in my performance, but that’s also a good thing. It means we’re talking more about women’s tennis in this country,” said Konta, who was born to Hungarian parents in Sydney and moved to Britain at the age of 14.